Bad Ignition module or water in fuel?

So I have had a string of events, and modifications, and something "ain't right"

Some time ago, I had the carb rebuilt, and put it all back together ran fine for a few days, when my rear end went out (I knew it was on it's way out but bad timing). So three months latter I had it all back together w/ a SOA. It was idling high, and dieseling so I took it in and the carb guy leaned it out and that is all was fine. After a week or so, it started dying while crusing, not on acceleration or deceleration, but planing out at speed, and doses not like to turn back over, when it doses a back fire is not uncommon. I assume it was too lean so I took it back and he said the carb seems to be fine (I trust him), it is most likely ignition module or water in the fuel, we pulled the filter and it did not look to have water, but that doses not mean any slipped by. It is also new thing, that I have a heck of a time getting it to turn over in the morning, or after it sets for a few hrs, that is new, all about the same time, but could point me to both problems?

I will change the oil this weekend, (maybe tomorrow) but need help deciding what to do, it could honestly be either, my next project it to fix leaking fuel tank that could be leaking ether way, I guess,. I have parked it until I can decide my plain of attack. I guess I could change the oil and fill the tank up and see if problem goes away, then I can assume water in the tank?

One more kicker, when it was in the shop getting gears, someone broke in and took all the keys, so they put a new key in the column, related?

I just need one of you to come fix it, and show me how, Or at least point me in the right direction. New-be slowly discovering I am over my head,

Evan Posting from work:

83' CJ-8
Reply to
Evan

Damn....lol I got the same problem from what you indicate. The other nite mine wouldn't start...backfire the whole bit. I poped the hood and messed with the choke and wires around the distributor.....it fired right up and never skipped a beat home. So I figure there's a malfunction in the choke or ignition. The backfire sure is a tell tale sign of ignition though....but I don't understand the cutting off while driving down the road. I mean....it runs perfect then BAMB your coast'in. Mine will usually crank back over too. I plan to dig into this next weekend...

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

When you say 'won't turn over' do you mean the starter isn't turning or it is turning over but not firing up?

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Just not firing up! Mine will be running down the road just fine then bang....quits just like you turned the key off... My problem has been building. At first it was no big deal...would happen once a day but has steadly got worse (like every mile). I used to be able to crank it up right after and keep going but now its very hard to start afterwards. Also backfires big time. I rebuilt the carb and found nothing but a lil bit of dirt. I'm sure the problem is in the ignition ( probably wires to the distributor, coil, or other electronics) which have all been updated?.

Brian

88 YJ
Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

Wranglerjeep1 did pass the time by typing:

Few ideas: Loose battery connection Corroded groundstrap to engine Checked the rotor and cap for arc paths or cracks? Spray some carb cleaner around the base of the carb and listen to the engine. If it lugs, replace the gasket and check the base of the carb for warp. Throw a timing light on it your timing chain may have slipped.

If it was the 93 I6 I'd say Crankshaft Position Sensor, but I dunno if you have one.

Reply to
DougW

Yup...that's what i'm thinking. Last time I drove it...it quit and wouldn't start. I let it sit for 10 min and still nothing. So I went under the hood and took the air cleaner assembly off and checked the choke. Then I jiggled the wires around the distributor and battery tray....turned the key and fired right up. Most of what you mentioned are right there so I'm pretty close. Heck i've been meaning to re wire that anyway to prevent something like this...but time caught up to me.

Brian

Reply to
Wranglerjeep1

When you say 'won't turn over' do you mean the starter isn't turning or it is turning over but not firing up?

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I replied from work but it did not take,

Starter turns but no fire, and I just went for a drive, and it died at 40mph, I poped the clutch, and nothing, I dropped a gear and popped it again, and I drug the tiers, no fire, rolled to a stop and it fired up after a few tries,

So far it fires back up, but not like it did or should, always takes a 3-7 tries, I don't want to ware out my starter

I could it be related to the new turn key in the column? Other then that it runs fine,

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Interesting.

An ignition module going bad can act like that.

A punky ground strap from the engine or battery to the firewall can act like that.

A badly adjusted ignition switch can make it cut out, but shouldn't affect a restart. If the starter is turning, 12 volts should be going to the coil from the starter solenoid.

You can test the ignition switch by starting it up and reaching under the dash to the top side of the steering column. There you will find a metal rod. Wiggle this rod. If it cuts out, you have found a problem. The switch is lower down on the column and has oval bolt slots for adjusting it. The plug on it could be loose too. So could the switch itself for that matter.

Hope some of this helps.

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

thanks how hard do I wiggle it?

(open door to joke)

I will give it a shot before I buy, , ,

I did a search late last night and you said the same thing back in 99 =>

I let you know,

Thanks,

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

It is not uncommon to see them out of adjustment or having a loose switch after a replaced key or switch.

I would wiggle it pretty hard, it is anchored solid at the key end, so any movement will be at the switch end.

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

ok, so I got the new ignition module in, and now no spark.

The only difence, is the old one had an exstra wire, (purple but labeld blue) the new module addreses this, that there is no need for this exstra wire, and no modification is requiered, so what to do? do I have the wrong one, or do I need to splice the one stray wire in, outher wise a simple install

thanks,

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan

Ummm, the stock one is looking for the computer to run the purple wire.

You will need to splice a wire in.

I really don't understand what you are trying to say though...

If the old one had the purple wire hooked up, it had no computer running the ignition.

The module will have a purple wire, it's the wiring harness that is missing the purple if the computer is running things.

If the wiring harness has the purple, you have to get an ignition module for a pre 1982 258 with no computer or one with the purple wire.

Mike

Evan wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

After a google search, and a closer inspection of the one I removed, I'll splice it intomarow,

thanks, , ,

I ran out of light today, stinking time-change

83 CJ 8, a work in progress
out the "XXX" to e-mail me
Reply to
Evan