battery

What would cause a car battery to steam while running?

Reply to
Jacob_T

Over charging... check the alternator output voltage.

Reply to
JimG

low water, loss of regulation (overcharge) or the sytem trying to charge a very dead battery or dead cell.

How old is the battery?

Reply to
DougW

If only from one cell, it would be likely a bad one, if from all of them, I would look to the alternator bad. A multimeter reading when it's running at the batter posts is in order to tell more.

Mike

Mike Romain

Heh, put a real voltmeter on it. This is bad, by the way.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
clay

regulation (overcharge) or

Reply to
Jacob_T

2-3 years isn't too old, but I have had batteries die in less time. Usually it's due to water loss (overheating in summer) 12.6 is a bit low for having no draw. I'd suggest checking the water level (add only distilled water) and if those look ok then take it to PepBoys/AutoZone/CanadianTire or such, they will test batteries for free.

As for batteries, I just buy the highest CCA, greatest capacity, and longest warranty from what ever major chain (PepBoys in my case) so that if it ever dies on the road I can find a local store to have it replaced.

Reply to
DougW

Check it with the car running and with it off. The first battery in my Jeep lasted eleven years, and the battery in my Honda is going on eight. Steam or vapor is usually a result of over-charging, not the battery's fault, or a shorted cell, which is. Check the water level, and refill each cell with distilled water to the level marked inside. Wear eye protection, and don't approach the battery if it is steaming or appears hot. If any electrolyte has bubbled out, wash it off with clean water. This would be a good place to wear rubber or latex gloves too. Wear old clothes. Be careful.

Some parts stores will test your charging system and battery for free. Overcharging used to be fairly common, with relay type voltage regulators. The contacts would stick and overcharge the battery. It is less common with transistorized regulators, but it can happen.

Earle

of regulation (overcharge) or

Reply to
Earle Horton

And whatever else you do DON'T smoke anywhere near that battery, you WILL NOT like what happens!

Jeff DeWitt

Mike Roma> If only from one cell, it would be likely a bad one, if from all of

Reply to
Jeffrey DeWitt

In which case you should detect a strong odor of sulfur from several feet downwind, even with the hood closed. It's dangerous-overcharging to that extent can literally cause the battery to explode. If the sides of the battery are puffed out, don't remove the caps. Just take the car to an alternator shop and let them handle it.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

all snipped

A reminder to everyone!

Just also remember to WASH YOUR HANDS after dealing with a battery. I had the unpleasant experience a few years ago of having to make a roadside repair that required disconnecting the battery and then reconnecting it. (Speedometer cable came loose...it was an old Dodge Dart, not a Jeep, but I never liked going under the dash with everything live)

I used some "Goop", wiped my hands on whatever was around (paper towels), but no water or soap.

After getting underway, I lit a cigarette (I think...I smoked in those days) or just touched my lips with my unwashed hand.

About an hour later, my lips began to burn like hell!

The small amount of acid picked up from the top of the battery didn't bother the rough skin on my hands, but it sure did a number on my lips! Soap and water gets rid of it just fine.

Best Regards,

DAve

Reply to
DaveW

Disposable latex gloves should be in your toolbox.

Reply to
Scott in Baltimore

Reply to
JimG

Just be glad you had the smoke before you made a potty stop... *g*

Reply to
clay

Jacob_T proclaimed:

Nothing good. Get it fixed fast before you end up with acid all over your engine and electricals.

If you have to ask, take it to a shop that can check your alternator and the battery itself to see if there is an internal short across a cell such that it doesn't cause discharge. Those aren't as common as they used to be but do still happen. If you are overcharging to the point of steam, don't be surprised if the plates buckle--or worse.

Reply to
Lon

Scott in Baltimore proclaimed:

Doesn't help if you wipe your lip after working near a battery. As soon as any moisture hits the acid it is probably gonna sting a bit.

Reply to
Lon

clay proclaimed:

Similar cautions apply to cutting up the habaneros for killer chili.

Reply to
Lon

google hurculiner+hootus

Reply to