Bellcrank plastic bushings

Hi all,

I'm doing a T-4/5 to T-176 upgrade on my '82 Scrambler, and I noticed that the bellcrank plastic bushings are shattered again. I replaced them less than a year ago, and I've done no serious off-roading, just some very bumpy mountain roads. I've got new polyurethane bushings all round (engine, transmission, body), so I don't think it's a body or engine shift issue. I keep the bellcrank very well greased. The problem seems to be with the bushings on the clutch housing side. The clutch pedal side bushings seems fine. Any ideas on what could be causing this? Or has anyone got a good permanent solution (the hydraulic clutch conversion didn't work so well)?

Thanks, Michael

Reply to
michael.white

If you can't figure out the cause, and you know someone with a lathe, have them machine some duplicates out of Delrin. It is very durable for applications like this.

Chris

I know the 258 has a wicked twist to it when it torques, especially if you have bigger than stock tires on it. I tear the crap out of my mounts. I shattered the last one that failed.

My CJ7 also has/had a wicked twist to it off road:

I'll bet that one really pulled on it!

That said, you can adjust the bell crank so it is a bit closer to the engine with the slotted mount holes which 'might' help.

I just gave up and adjusted the linkage to take up the slop. I recently picked up a new bellcrank and got a new frame yesterday so will install both together. I am going to move it over closer to the engine on 'this', the second frame up build though.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:> Hi all,
Reply to
Mike Romain

Say goodbye to Imagestation: