Wrong Clutch Fork?

All,

I'm getting quite a bit of noise when the clutch is depressed on my '82 Scrambler with a 258, a T-5, and manual clutch. This is before and after I replaced the clutch throwout (release) bearing. While paging through the factory service manual, I noticed that my clutch fork looks like the clutch fork used with the four-cylinder, hydraulic clutches: flat on the tines of the forks, flat in the middle of the fork tines, and a deep dimple for the release rod. In the pictures of the manual clutch, the middle of the fork does not look flat, the dimple for the release rod doesn't look as deep, and the tines of the fork do not look flat.

I'd take a photo, but it's installed already. I just know that, in addition to the noise, my clutch system is stressed. I've busted a new bellcrank, a portion of the bell housing, and snapped a grade 5 bolt head. And the old clutch I replaced had one if its return springs busted.

One other oddity - when I adjust my clutch, I have to adjust the release rod nearly all the way out.

Thanks in advance.

Reply to
Michael White

HomeBrewer ( snipped-for-privacy@cox.net) wrote on Sunday 06 February 2005 10:09 pm:

No, but I bought the Scrambler in 1998, a lot of years where who knows what may have happened. For all I know, someone busted it at one time in the past and picked up one in a junk yard...

Reply to
Michael White

Are you missing the 1/2" or so round ball bearing pivot point for the lever that sits just inside the bell housing? That ball is held in with a small spring that goes from the nose cone to the arm.

If missing, the pedal will be hard and you cannot adjust it far enough to have the clutch stay free wheeling when down. You will 'bottom out' the linkage stressing the crap out of the bell crank and always have the throw out bearing touching the pressure plate fingers in order to get it to go far enough.

What did the fingers look like on the old plate? Any wear or scuff marks?

Did the tranny nose cone have any dings on it?

Mike

Michael White wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Mike Romain ( snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca) wrote on Monday 07 February 2005 08:28 am:

The one that sort of sits on a pedestal, right? Yes, that's there.

The fingers definitely have scuff marks.

The front of the transmission has no marks or dings on it. The clutch shaft is a bit wore, though. The gears that mesh with the clutch are clean, but the portion behind it that the throwout bearing rides on has definite scoring.

Maybe the O'Reilly folks just sold me a bad clutch.

Reply to
Michael White

HomeBrewer ( snipped-for-privacy@cox.net) wrote on Monday 07 February 2005 07:51 pm:

Mostly looks like mine. I'm going to have to pull it apart again, though, as it has the wrong throwout bearing....

Reply to
Michael White