Loose trim?

Hi,

My '03 GT Convertible has a loose piece of trim that I'd like to fix but I'm not sure how.

It's the windshield trim on the passenger side (on the front/outside of the 'A' pillar).

Does this snap in or tighten with a hidden screw or ????

I'm sure it's something simple, but it's a pain in the butt to take it into the dealer for something like this.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Reply to
Peter Gunn

Let the dealer do it since you still have warranty. One your "standard warranty" is over they'll just try to screw you every way they can (like they're trying to do to me.... "we have to adjust your windows, frame is fine" meanwhile my frame makes a LOUD flexing sound) And I'm under the ESP Premium now but still no good. Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

Well when I was torquing down my driver side wheel, the sound was/is from the rear driver side wheelwell area (between door and wheel I think). Also when I make right turns (cornering so the body tries flexing) with the rear driver quarter window up. And yes its the "old wooden stairway" type sound, but also kind of a metal bending sound (same sound sort of...) Also, my driver side door wont close properly anymore (convertible) and the dealer's answer (I have the Premium ESP like I said) was "Well it seems your window has to be adjusted, thats not ccovered by the ESP even though you have

67,000km... we'll do it for $170 and see if that does it". Also, my driver side rear wheel squeeks over bumpy roads and this same dealership once said "the parking brake cable was rubbing the shock so we lubed it". Noise was still there, now they claim they cant hear it. TIme for a new dealership maybe... and SVT one probably. As for the ESP... I think it was almost $2,000 canadian (dont have the exact figure here right now but it was under $2grand I think). After doing some research last week, I've found that Nissan's extended warranty is the best.... We have a Cherokee as well, same thing with extended warranty, its come in VERY handy. Ford's has cost me $150 so far and NOTHING is fixed. Also, I'm going to probably make an appointment with that SVT dealer I was talking about just to have the frame checked out in case. Because that rear quarter window... when I put it up, it makes a weird sound too. So its purely the driver side. But if it IS the frame.... what are my options? Just for them to straighten it? Gagan

Reply to
Gagan (mwarrior)

Well if the door isn't closing right it could be the door has sagged. I'm no mechanical expert, just a mechanically inclined dabbler. But unless you have some serious rust or have had an accident, or abused the car in some way (jumping, off road driving) the frame shouldn't be bent... Don't get me wrong it might be, but it's the less likely possibility IMO.

Rubbing the Shock? Not possible, rubbing the brackets that hold it yes. Look just get under there and pull and push that sucker, you'll hear it... If you look close you'll probably also see some wear. On my 95 the shielding has actually worn almost a third of the way through. There's an emergency brake cable on either side of the car, so make sure to clean/lube both of them... and yes the sound will come back when the lube dries up or more crap gets in there.

Oh and the E-brake cable is the lowest cable back there it comes from the front (under the back seat pan) to the front of the brake caliper. You can't miss it, it's the first thing you'll see before you even get under the car. I'm betting it's all that making the noise. Your door probably needs new bushings. And the powerwindow motor on your rear quarter window is probably messed up (or the guids/gears etc might be messed up). Again I could be totally wrong but those things are more likely (in my opinion) than a bent frame. Anyway these things are easier to figure out, so at least eliminate them first (especially if they're under your ESP).

That would definitely require a better opinion than mine. The only experience I have with frames was my 65 FB and that was just to conclude that the frame was so rusted that I had no chance of actually restoring it at my level of mechanical knowledge :( (the right rear leaf spring was actually rusted OFF the frame, and bolted to a 6x6 in the trunk!) I imagine a bent frame is some serious surgery; But I'm only guessing. If it IS the frame and it's covered under your ESP you'll want to get it diagnosed, maybe even pay another mechanic to find the problem and present the dealer with this info so they can't wheedle their way out of fixing it.

Reply to
Simon Juncal