Best Cleaner for "Grit" on Car Body ?

As I wash the lower panels of my 2000 JGC, I can feel what I can best describe as "grit" on the car finish. It is not visible to the eye, but when I rub my hand over it, the feeling is a bit like coarse sandpaper. I suspect it might be road tar, but I really don't know what it is.

I have found this only on the very lower panels of the car, and most pronounced on the very lowest panels just rear of the rear wheels. I believe these panels are plastic.

These rough "bumps" will not come off with regular car wash liquids used full strength and applied with a non-abrasive washing pad.

Any recommendations on what product I might use to remove this grit??

Thanks !!

--James--

Reply to
James Nipper

James Nipper proclaimed:

Road tar would be black...pretty easy to see unless your paint is also black. Tar will usually come off with a bit of WD-40 or a bit of automobile finish cleaner.

Could be roughness in the plastic itself?

Make sure it is foreign matter. Clean it good, then try one of the pre-cleaners to be used before waxing. Doubt if claying plastic would work...

You might want to have a local detail shop check it for you to make sure it isn't just a rough finish.

Reply to
Lon

3M General Purpose Adhesive Cleaner, also marketed as Bug and Tar Remover. Available in any auto body/ paint supply. _Excellent_ stuff - it will remove the wax, so plan on rewaxing immediately. Wear rubber gloves to keep it off your skin.

I disagree with another poster's comment about a clay bar - it should work fine on plastic. If you are unfamiliar with clay bars...

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

A new paint job after stripping off the 'rubber' anti chip undercoating?

Mike

Mike Romain