Best thing for cleaning inside of car windows?

Anybody got any top-tips? Also, what's the best way of avoiding all those smeary marks?

Reply to
Layezee

Washing up liquid and warm water at the same strength as you use for the dishes. Obviously, wring out the cloth or sponge so it doesn't go everywhere. Rinse with a clean cloth and clean water. Dry with a chamois.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

: Anybody got any top-tips? Also, what's the best way of avoiding all those : smeary marks?

Windolene - the old purple sort, not the clear liquid. Or Autoglym glass cleaner, which seems very similar. No smears - you just dust the stuff off afterwards.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

I have just started using those cloths in a plastic tub, just pull on out tear it off and wipe away, specially for windows they are great quick and easy bit pricey but you can keep them in the car and they are there when you need them !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rich

Reply to
Rich

The message from "Ian Johnston" contains these words:

Which was unavailable till recently when they reintroduced it.

Reply to
Guy King

: The message : from "Ian Johnston" contains : these words: : : > Windolene - the old purple sort, not the clear liquid. : : Which was unavailable till recently when they reintroduced it.

Was it? I haven't had any problems getting it, but since I only buy it occasionally the disappearance may have come between two of my purchases!

Mind you, I'm not surprised they brought it back. The clear stuff is crap - you get more smears after than before.

Ian

Reply to
Ian Johnston

Newspaper, or paper towels are supposed to be good.

Reply to
petermcmillan_uk

What make? I've not found anything like that which works - especially if there have been smokers in the car.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Laundry liquid on a damp microfibre cloth. Shifts just about everything, tar included.

Found out by accident when I spilled some on the floor; it cleaned 50 years' worth of crud from old lino tiles. Since then I've tried it on every tricky cleaning job and it hasn't failed yet.

HTH

Reply to
enigmatism

I'll vouch for the Autoglym Glass Polish too. Best stuff I've ever had for cleaning windscreens. Just rub it on, leave it a min then wipe off again and built up grime which nothing else ever shifted, was completely gone. Seems similar to Windolene, so I guess it might do a similar job. Don't use the Autoglym Fast Glass. It's alright for lightly soiled side or rear windows, but doesn't clean well enough for a dirty windscreen, and smears too.

G.

Reply to
Gary McClean

Nilglass

George Spigot

Why does everyone seem to want to spend money on fancy solutions when every kitchen contains the means to clean glass perfectly - regardless of what's on it?

Dave - an Aberdonian born and bred. ;-)

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

The message from "Dave Plowman (News)" contains these words:

Ah! That /explains/ it!

Reply to
Guy King

To be honest, I tend to agree with him though. Newspaper and vinegar will get glass incredibly clean and smear free. I don't use vinegar, but vinegar based glass cleaner, but still stick with newspaper for rubbing down.

For my sins though, I do use Rainex on the outside of the windscreen and find it works as long as you can maintain the coating.

I was once driving from Hastings to Surrey with a colleague in my car during a fairly heavy shower. He interrupted his phone call to ask me why the hell I didn't need wipers and why the raindrops were all going

*up* the screen.

He then decided to use the stuff himself on his Passat without reading the manufacturer warnings on the bottle and it reacted with some coating or other that was on his screen already and turned the thing into an opaque useless and expensive problem.

Warwick

Reply to
Warwick