body lift for cherokee?

I have a bone stock jeep cherokee, 99 sport, where is a good place to get a small body lift? Also, what problems may I expect when installing? Transmission, gaps in body, etc...

Reply to
HomeBrewer

The largest problem you will encounter is the unibody. I'd look into suspension lifts. I have a Rubicon Express 3.5" (RE 6025). I have been pleased.

Jim

94XJ
Reply to
Jim Kelly

Reply to
David C. Moller

It will be a real bitch of a job. First you have to cut the body loose from the frame.... ;-)

It is a uniframe design with the body welded right on it.

You can get 1.5 or 2" spacer lifts cheap.

Mike

HomeBrewer wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Like everyone said, a body lift can't be done. If you do a spacer lift do NOT do a shackle lift. I repeat -- DO NOT do a shackle lift. I did this on my 2000 Cherokee and have regretted it ever since.

Also, the XJs have a tendency to have more problems than the TJs when lifted. Just be ready for all the little money. With 2" I needed to get a new track bar to get rid of the death wobble (even after upgrading to an OME steering stabilizer) and I still have driveline vibes. I've spent almost $1000 on having different shops try to fix the problem. Should have just bought smaller tires and gotten rid of the lift. However, when installing the shackles, I had to drill out the old bushings and sleeves in the stock leafs, so going stock would required a new set of leafs.

Just keep that in mind. If I had it to do over again, no way would I do a

1 - 2" lift. If you're going to do it, go all the way. 3"+ with SYE, new trackbars, and definitely new LCAs.

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

Are the Commanche pickup trucks are on a full frame? I wonder if it would be possible to put a Cherokee on a Commanche platform.

Not that I'd want to do the work, mind...

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

They both have the same full frame under there.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

No, the MJ is similar from the doors forward and uses the identical frame extension in the engine bay/bumper area but it is completely different from just aft of the doors on back. I've only looked up close at the long bed I have but the FSM on the body details the differences pretty well. The rear of the cab is incorporated into a cross brace/stiffener that has no counterpart on the XJ and from the rear wall of the cab on back it uses a unique full boxed frame with a number of additional cross braces - remember, it has to be stiff enough to run with the bed off.

I haven't measured but I'm pretty sure from look>

Reply to
Will Honea

I am thinking about it and you are right, they are different.

One has spring over and one spring under even.

But cutting the cab off the front frame and boxing it, then putting a Cherokee body on with a couple inch body lift would sure fit nice tires eh....

Mike

Will H>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hmm, no body lift? Well, I could sell it and put the $ into a nice CJ - but it would have to be my daily driver and do boat pulling duty. Then what would I do with the rusty cj in the shack? man, decisions, decisions.

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Ain't that the truth! When I first got the MJ I was looking at lifting it a couple of inches just to fit chains on the rear so they didn't rip up the flares. Out in the muddy plowed fields a good heavy set of chains will save a lot of cussing but I gave it up when simple math said that it was 6 inches or nothing: 2.5 inch axle tube and pad plus a little over 3 inches of spring pack. The long bed MJ has some hefty springs compared to the XJ.

I don't know about the short bed version. There are 4 or 5 running around here so I guess I should take a look some time. One other oddity about the rear end: mine has the D35 diff with tracloc but the manual on it specifically states that it DOES NOT use c-clips! I also checked when I had the brakes off and the rear axle definitely uses a bolt on bearing retainer behind the backing plate. I sure don't look forward to ever having to replace that axle! Now, if only I had lucked into the "metric ton" version with the D44 or something a tad shorter than the 3.07 it came with... That was probably OK with the

205/75/15 tires the door plate says it came with but even 235s are a challenge > I am thinking about it and you are right, they are different.
Reply to
Will Honea

Can you translate this for me? SYE? LCAs? Do you have a link and/or price for this complete kit? or is it even available as a kit?

Thanks

Reply to
HomeBrewer

Can you translate this for me? SYE? LCAs? Do you have a link and/or price for this complete kit? or is it even available as a kit?

Thanks

Reply to
HomeBrewer

SYE: Slip yoke eliminator. Fixed driveshaft yoke on the rear output of your transfer case. Allows use of a CV (constant velocity or double cardan) rear drive shaft to reduce vibrations and increase strength. Not strictly required on a 3" Cherokee lift.

LCA: Lower control arms. They connect your front axle to the underside of the body. Longer replacements highly recommended on a 3" lift. They correct caster of front wheels for proper steering response.

A 3" lift will let you fit 31x10.50 tires with no fender cutting.

For a 3" lift you want the following:

2 front coil springs 2 rear leaf spring packs (with u-bolts) 2 lower control arms 2 disconnectable front sway bar links 4 longer shocks brake line extensions

Longer track bar (or track bar relocation bracket) possibly required to keep front axle centered.

Most manufacturers offer a cheaper version that has add-a-leaf (AAL) instead of full rear leaf packs. The really cheap kits use very short leafs that will ruin your stock leaf packs pretty quick. Longer leafs are better, but still cause your stock springs to sag over time. For your five year old vehicle, consider a kit with full replacement leaf packs.

Many manufacturers: Superlift, BDS, Skyjacker, Black Diamond, Teraflex, Rough Country, Rubicon Express, ... Search web for best prices.

Steve

Reply to
Steve