bright backup lights for '96 Grand

I do a lot of backing up into narrow driveways and lanes at night and I'm not happy with the light output from the (stock) backup lights installed on my '96 GC.

Does anyone have any suggetions on how to get incresed output from my backup lights, hopefully without spending big bucks?

Best Regards,

Marcel

Reply to
marcel

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

L.W. ("ßill") Hughes III did pass the time by typing:

I stuck in higher wattage backup lamps from the local PepBoys. They usually suggest only one, but going by the circuit rating and wire gauge I can easily run two. They look similar to this.

Just keep your fingers off the bulb.

Another option if you have the class III 7pin trailer connector is to run another set of low wattage backup bulbs or relay off the power feed and run a fog lamp like I did on my old truck.

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The best way is to use a relay with the trigger from the reverse light circuit to run a driving light or two. They can be found really cheap at most automotive stores. Some come with a wiring harness and 'bosch' relay or you can just do your own wiring. This means adding a power line to the back of the vehicle.

The stores do sell really high watt bulbs that will fit into the reverse light socket, but..... You will then need to rewire the reverse lights using a dedicated power line and relay or the reverse light switch will burn out sooner than later. That switch is something like $350.00 if you have an auto trans!

Mike

marcel wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I prefer a tractor-style floodlamp, as I never know if what I want to see behind be will be up, down etc. I use a manual switch so i can also use it for stuff like loading trailers, working on other vehicles, etc,

a street vehicle, a fog light with a wide but flat beam is pretty good.I wouldn't increase the wattage of most stock backups, as the bulb holder and lens may not handle the heat.

Reply to
Paul Calman