anyone Turbo'd a 258 or know about someone who has?

Just curious to see if anyone's ever addressed the higher RPM shortcomings of the old 4.2 with some creative salvage yard turbo action; or kit. Driving my F550 TD at work got me thinking about what a jeep might sound like crawling along with that waste gate sound.

I know I've seen supercharged Jeeps before. Somehow a Turbo 258 project has got my imagination running.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Simon Juncal did pass the time by typing:

Should be straight forward, everythings on the same side and there is plenty of room for the plumbing.

There are lots of vendors and sites, I don't have any solid info other than dig. :/

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

A friend of mine did this several years ago and he loved the results. Of course, he's a retired engineer so his attention to detail was excellent.

I seem to recall him removing the turbo system before he sold the Jeep, but I don't recall why.

I'd ask him more about it but I suspect he'd keep talking for a couple hours... :-)

-Matt-

Reply to
matt borland

I would not even consider any kit that did not have a turbo with a liquid cooled center turbo bearing assembly. The more you fabricate yourself, of course, the less expensive it is. Can you bend pipe and weld?

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The turbo bearings are directly lubricated and cooled by engine oil, except on very large turbos which have their own independent oil supply. However the center assembly or "cartridge" on some also have passages for engine coolant. This keeps the cartridge temps lower and means that the turbo is less vulnerable to coking if engine stoppage in the high heat condition occurs. Mopar-specifically one of the guys formerly under Huebner on the turbine project, maybe Steichen(??)-came up with the idea and Chrysler/DCX held a patent on it for years.

High dollar turbo engines may also have pre-oiler electric oil pumps installed so the turbo can receive oil flow before and after engine run.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

You are insane, Bill. You have no sense of logic whatever.

What year did stock LS1 Corvettes come with turbos?

And the turbo Corvairs WERE very troublesome.

Still, the point was, there are water cooled turbos that are more consumerproof than the conventional kind. I think you are incapable of understanding anything at this point, you must have eaten mad cow burger and the prions are slowly eating the inert mass between your ears.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig

Higher RPM and rock crawling are mutually exclusive activities. Except for the time I watched Jerry B go rock crawling with the Cruise Control set (sorry Jerry), I've never seen anybody attempt to do it with the engine running at speeds where a turbo would be of any help, much less be desired.

"Simon Juncal" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@rcn.net...

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

The sound of the waste gate is what you might hear when the turbo isn't pushing much air into the engine (such as when shifting, or crawling along at low speed but relatively high RPM's). So of course I'm not implying that it would help rock crawling (which I also didn't mention) or help anything else for that matter; except perhaps my driving experience as I happen to find that sound pleasing.

Reply to
Simon Juncal

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Wastegates are used on all sophisticated turbo systems. Some simple ones don't have them. Boost bleed valves are something different that USAC had in the Turbo Offy days. They bleed air off the compressor side, not divert hot gas from the turbine side.

Reply to
Bret Ludwig