Buying Cherokee Sport, Advice sought

I'm on the market for a Cherokee, and have been reading all the Google posts for info, but I thought I'd ask a couple other things.

First, I'm looking to downsize from my Durango, so if anyone wants one, drop me a line. I found a '96 Sport with 98k miles on it, 4.0, AT, PW, PL, 4x4, etc. for $5,000. It's a small dealership, said it was a trade at another dealership. If I were to get serious about it, what should I look for or look at? Provided everything's in order, is $5k a good price? I asked about service records, or history, and there was none.

Are there any 'must-have' options in these? I know the 4.0 is the better motor, what about the transfer case?

Thanks for any advice, I really need to make a wise purchase, so I'm arming myself with as much info as I can. Sorry if the post is a little scattered, my wife & I just found out we're having a baby, hence the downsize.

Thanks again,

Josh I got a VW Cabrio for sale too....

Reply to
Josh

If you want service records and history, a private sale is the way to go. It is a bit more work, but sometimes you can get a better deal with a private sale too. Down sides are no or rare trade in, no help with financing, and no "dealer inspection" of the vehicle. ("Dealer inspection," don't make me laugh.) I would prefer to buy from a used car dealer with a good reputation rather than a Jeep dealer...

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

There are a couple of rear diffs on the 96 but most likely it is a chry 8.25, if so then some of these are either 27 or 29 spline. 96 was the cutover year for 29 which is preferred. so if the build date is late in 96 yu should have the 29 spline diff. unfortunately the only way to know is open it up.

i got lucky and mine is the 29 spline. these are supposed to be about as strong as a D44.

i currently have 117K miles on mine and use it as a daily driver and off road it a couple of times a month. 3.5" skyjacker lift, 31x10.5 Cooper SSt tires on AR767 15x8's with 4" backspacing. snorkle, engine/oilpan skid, gastank skid, powertrax noslip in the rear, warn

8500 winch in the front with warn brushguard and pushbar.

you might want to check the jeepsunlimited.com forum for cherokees for further information

Reply to
Burt Ridge