XJ advice sought

Heya Gang.. Thanks for all the previous help with my galpal's 98 XJ. I found a 96 XJ sport, 4dr, 91000 miles, stick at a local car dealer. They want $3995. Good/bad? What should I be looking for? Looks pretty good, I'm going to visit it during biz hours tomorrow and drive it. Any advice appreciated. Ryan

Reply to
gug

Correction, it's a 1994. Thanks Ryan

Reply to
gug

appreciated.

Reply to
attnews

Mine had the proverbial cracked manifold ... which was not only repaired by the dealer, but pointed out to me by the dealer ... before I took possesion. Oh yeah, maybe dicker and deal for whatever you might need in the near future ... like maybe whatever type tires you might be looking for, maybe a trailer hitch, bolt on tranny cooler ... and a decent CD player :-). Maybe check that the ac is working, if 4wd make sure it's working all selections. On older vehicles I sometimes did the pull each high tension lead one after the other ... if no change in rpms you've got a dead cylinder .. or ok, howabout a compression test.

Reply to
bowgus

Is it 4wd or 2wd? Is this going to be a commuter car or a family car or both? KH

appreciated.

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego
4WD, Mostly commuter, 90%. I drive 100 miles /day round trip to school and back. Ryan Thanks for the advice!

Reply to
gug

Look up the blue book and nada guide prices.

It sounds like a good price. At that mileage I would suspect the cooling system is just starting to get plugged. If it runs hot at all (over 210) then I would get the radiator rodded out. Check the fuel injectors and make sure they dont leak or have any fuel residue around them. Make sure the clutch slave doesnt leak. If it does it will have break fluid leaking from the bell housing. Look underneath for oil leaks etc. At that mileage it will have some. Just make sure they arent too bad.That engine will last to 200+ thousand miles easily if maintained. Oh and if is anywhere near Mike or Canada, check the ground strap to the engine and make sure its in good shape. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego