advice sought on buying a high mileage P38 Rangie

Hi there,
I'm new to this newsgroup and would be grateful if anyone could give me some practical tips before I make a final decision about buying an M
plate Range Rover 4.0 SE. It's for sale in my local dealers at what seems a very reasonable price (below 5K) but my concern is that it's done 176,000 miles. One of the attractions of this Rangie is that it's already been LPG'd. I'll be checking it's service history to see what's been replaced, but I'd appreciate advice on any specific items I should look out for.
thanks in advance for all help.
andrew_s

An early P38? With high miles? And you're still interested...
OK, so you are pretty brave then!
Frankly, there's any number of potential horrors that could quickly double the price of your car. I've never owned one, but the engines on these are notorious for dying young. And 175K is not young.
Air suspensions are also trouble spots, as is the various computer gubbins, including the BECM. I don't know how much that part alone runs to, but it isn't cheap.
You need a proper inspection by a hardened P38 expert.
Nothing is more expensive than a cheap P38!
--
Tim Hobbs

Thats a very high mileage for a Petrol. I personally wouldn't touch it. I would suspect it will do mabye another 70k max before need some serious work.
Walk away or offer 3500 that way then you can factor in some major engine work.
Now if it was a Diesel - different story.
Andy
Hi there,
I'm new to this newsgroup and would be grateful if anyone could give me some practical tips before I make a final decision about buying an M plate Range Rover 4.0 SE. It's for sale in my local dealers at what seems a very reasonable price (below 5K) but my concern is that it's done 176,000 miles. One of the attractions of this Rangie is that it's already been LPG'd. I'll be checking it's service history to see what's been replaced, but I'd appreciate advice on any specific items I should look out for.
thanks in advance for all help.
andrew_s
ags came up with the following;:

There's good reasons why it's cheap ....

It's unlikely that the addition of an LPG kit will make keeping this running for more than a year or more any cheaper. ;)
I'd suggest let someone else 'benefit' from such a cheap P38, unless you know someone who is _really_ into p38's and will have a look at it for you prior to purchase.
'course, this could be 'the one' that lasts and lasts and lasts with no major repair bills to suspension, air con, engine, computers etc ... but I wouldn't chance it.
--
Paul ...
(8(|) Homer Rules ..... Doh !!!