Card code lost!!!

Hi,

I recently bought a Jeep Orvis (1998) in the UK, and was told the car code was with the documentation - but I've checked, and it's nowhere to be found. The previous owner has moved house, and now I'm stuck without a radio/cd player! I'm trying to trace the original Jeep supplier, but I doubt if they'd be interested in supplying me with the code - even if they were able to locate it.

There MUST be a way round this sort of thing, surely? I can't see me being the only one in this predicament. So.. question is - how do I reactivate the radio?

Any advise appreciated!

Nichollette

Reply to
nichollette

Sorry about that..!

Reply to
nichollette

If it is a factory radio any Jeep dealer should be able to get the code for you. I believe the radio must be removed to get the numbers off the back. They may also require proof of ownership.

Reply to
Mike

Proof of ownership is no problem. Nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive.. and why would the number be on the back? If it was stolen, that would surely defeat the purpose of the code? No?

Thanks!

Reply to
nichollette

The serial number is on the back. The dealer can use that to retrieve the code usually.

I do not believe there is any other way to do it. The code is to prevent someone else from using it so it won't just be given out.

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail > Proof of ownership is no problem. Nearest dealer is a 2 hour drive.. and
Reply to
Mike Romain

Putting the number on the front would be ugly!

Two hours? With the price of petrol, maybe just drop in an aftermarket radio?

No, you have to prove you own the radio. They (the dealer) will look up the radio's serial number (that magic number on the back) and if it matches the vehicle you have, they give you the code. If the numbers don't match, well, let's say things can get difficult if the radio was reported as stolen.

Bottom line is that you may be much better off just replacing it with a new one. By the time you add the cost of driving to and from the dealer, the dealer's charge to remove the radio, and re-code the radio, you will be spending about what a reasonable after-market head unit will cost.

Reply to
PeterD

I'm completely ignorant here, WHY do you need a car code to use the radio?

Is it like Sirius or something? Why would it be dysfunctional? Did they change it out before you bought it?

It may be quite possible that there is a series of buttons that you can push on the front to retrieve the code. I realize that mine is a lot younger than this but to get my Sirius numbers all I have to do is push this button at the same time as that button and it appears on the display.

I say pick up the phone and call your dealership and see if they will tell you how.

If you really don't want to do that then why not pull the radio out yourself and get the number off of the back? It's not all that hard to get one out. Again, any dealership service manager that is worh his salt will help you figure it out. Explain the WHOLE situation and tell him you want to check it.

Usually trim just pops off and then you can access the unit. Sometimes you may need special tools to pull it out but on mine you sure don't.

One other thought.. have you checked the fuse?

K.

Reply to
Kate

It would be more accurately called a lock code. Basically, the factory radio locks itself if it thinks it has been stolen (read: battery disconnected for too long) and without entering the right unlock code, the radio is unusable. On some makes, entering an incorrect code too many times can PERMANENTLY lock the radio, rendering it an expensive paperweight.

The dealer usually gives you the unlock code when you buy the vehicle new, but when buying a used car it's a crap shoot.

Reply to
Garth Almgren

I've tried contacting the dealer - but their number continually comes up as engaged. Perhaps they're no longer there... The battery was disconnected - that's why the code is required.

I don't know what a Sirius is.

I'll try and trace the dealer ....

Reply to
nichollette

Any Jeep dealer will do. If a coded radio is over ten years old i will write the code in paint marker on the radio casing, It makes things a lot easier for techs, and anyone stealing a radio that old is probably doing you a favor.

Reply to
Stupendous Man

Sirius is a radio that is standard equipment in many cars that picks up its signals from a satellite instead of an earth-bound antenna. The competitor to Sirius is XM. You may have heard of that one. They also make portables and radios for the home, but you get the idea.

If you are unable to contact the selling dealer, I would call the field office for your area. Should be in the back of your owner's manual.

Dick

** Posted from
**
Reply to
Dick

Thanks Garth, Now I know. So, is this just a UK thing or is it on all of them these days?

It would be more accurately called a lock code. Basically, the factory radio locks itself if it thinks it has been stolen (read: battery disconnected for too long) and without entering the right unlock code, the radio is unusable. On some makes, entering an incorrect code too many times can PERMANENTLY lock the radio, rendering it an expensive paperweight.

The dealer usually gives you the unlock code when you buy the vehicle new, but when buying a used car it's a crap shoot.

Reply to
Kate

"nichollette" wrote I don't know what a Sirius is.

***Sirius satellite radio, sorry, I should have been more clear. If you're unable to reach one dealer, maybe try another?

K.

Reply to
Kate

I've had it on all my vehicles for the last 10 years at least... I only have Saab and Jeep... and every time the battery is disconnected, you have to enter the code to activate the radio etc.

Reply to
nichollette

Hey.. the radio/CD player/cassette works perfectly well - even after 10 years. I mean.. where's the wear and tear on something like that?

It looks like it needs special tools to remove it.

But.. thanks.. I'll try any Jeep dealer.

Reply to
nichollette

Heh, she's in the UK. Jeep is a luxury marque over there, and dealers are few. It's not like Durango, CO, small town with two Jeep dealers next door to each other.

Cheers,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Hmm.... Never had to do that here. I've had a 99 Ford, 05 Liberty and now the 06 Rubi. I've disconnected my battery pleanty of times too while working on my Jeeps. Now that you've told me about it though, surely it will bite me on the butt.

K.

Reply to
Kate

Reply to