Compact Flash audio player?

Hi,

Has anyone heard of a in-dash auto radio unit that can play digital music files from a Compact Flash card? My CD player in my Jeep is biting the dust, it skips on the slighted bump in the road, and it's the replacement...a JVC marine unit. I'm wondnering if there is such a beast that can play right off of a CF card...no moving parts, no skipping.

Just wondering, since I have a couple 256MB CF cards for my digital camera, one of those would hold about 3.5 hours of CD-spec digital music.

Google came up short, though there's a lot of external MP3 players that use CF cards...

--

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

check this link out:

Hope this helps..

Adonis

Reply to
Adonis

Why don't you get one a tape deck, an mp3 player, and a car adapter kit. MP3

adapter
's my half cent advise. Hope it helps. Robert R.

Reply to
Robert

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

This:

is a far better solution than a tape adapter if you have/can get a recent model year radio with CD changer controls. n.

car adapter

That's my half cent advise. Hope it helps.>

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Not gonna spend 60$ to be able to play tapes.... Nick

> car adapter

> That's my half cent advise. Hope it helps.> >

replacement...a

Reply to
Nick N

I had the same thought this week as my CD is becoming very balky.

It's a brilliant idea, and I was sure that someone has done such a thing. Alas, I guess not.

Myself, I'd prefer an SD card, since I got em for my magellan, my PDA and my camera.

There has got to be something out there...

Reply to
Greg Allen

I looked for the same thing and compromised with a deck that plays MP3's on a CD-R. I can get 150+ songs on one cd-r, and by putting it on random play it's like the radio with no commercials.

Daren McMorris

Reply to
DMcMorris

Um, it's not really for tapes. It plugs into the back of the head unit where the CD changer would normally plug in. It changed the CD changer control to an AUX input. I play my iPod through it. I suppose you could play tapes through it (or minidisc or portable CD player, or...) but that'd be a slightly over engineered solution. n.

> > car adapter

> > That's my half cent advise. Hope it helps.> > >

Reply to
Nathan Otis

I dont' recall any that do CF, but I think Sony has one that will take a Magic Gate memory stick. If you are looking for no skips and don't want to try an external unit like an iPod try the Kenwood Music Keg. It docks to your home computer with USB and the unit for the car interfaces like a CD chager would. The removable part is nothing more than a 2.5" laptop hard drive enclosed in a case. Notebook HDs are rated for a certain amount of shock when transporting, unlike more fragile desktop 3.5" drives that usually sit immobile all the time.

You will need a Kenwood head unit, then the Keg adds on to that. Info is here:

Also if you do like the idea of an iPod but just want something that's integrated a little better, Alpine is coming out with an interface for the iPod that allows it's control via an Alpine head unit. It also plugs in to the CD changer socket of the head unit. Just plug it in and throw the iPod in the glove box and it gets charged too.

Shawn

Reply to
Endo

I do the same thing, with a much cheaper RCA Lyra. $50 including the player got it done, and it plays about 2 1/2 hours of great audio. It uses the format one size smaller than compact flash, though-the security card format or whatever that cameras use.

Matt

Reply to
Matt

Thanks;

I think we are trying to get away from mechanicals entirely. Dust gets inside and jams up mechanisms, severe bumps make skips and head crashes (fatal for any hard drive.)

My cd Player won't eject CD's since our last trail ride. I just want a solid state solution with no moving parts beyond the control knobs. I don't care if it only holds as much as my CD's currently do.

Reply to
Greg Allen

this is what I did, it works great and simple to use while on trail. No skips, un-interrupted music lasts longer than fuel.

Robert Hahn

Saw that too but I was looking for something with no moving parts...

replacement...a

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

A 256megabyte card, CD audio is approximately a little more than 1mb per minute, so 3 1/2 is a conservative estimate. Mp3 would be much, much more. But I don't like the way Mp3's sound, but I guess in the Jeep it wouldn't matter, I just want to stop the skipping. The cards are relatively expensive ($75 for a 256) but they are reusable.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Matt;

Actually, a 700 MB CD can hold only 80 minutes (give or take a couple minutes) of music in CD Audio format:

Your 1 MB /minute estimate is a good approximation for 128 kbit mp3 format. Even though the sampling rate is high, I think the sample size is smaller, and the mp3 compression discards a lot of aural information.

When you are ripping the songs, you can choose a higher sample rate to trade off size for higher quality. But with all the wind noise, clanking and rattling going on in my jeep, standard mp3 quality is fine to my tin ears.

Even at CD Audio levels, I wouldn't mind terribly having to swap out a handfull of CF or SD cards on a trail. It would sure take up less space in my console.

Did I mention how nice it would be to have music with no moving parts to get fouled up with dust?

Reply to
Greg Allen

Your statement of how much space each minute of the different music formats (CD and MP3) uses was a little off...

CD Audio is actually about TEN (10) MB per minute of music. Which is why a CDR can hold 74 minutes of music or 700 MB of data.

MP3s, at 128kbps, take up 1 MB (960 KBytes to be exact) per minute. I don't think 128kbps sounds good enough, though, so I rip at no less than 192kbps (1.440 MB per minute). So, do a little math, and you find that one 256 MB CF card will hold:

256 MB / 0.960 MB = 266 Minutes, or 4.44 Hours. Not bad at all. 256 MB / 1.440 MB = 177 Minutes, or 2.96 Hours. Still not too shabby.

So, the 256 MB CF card wouldn't be bad at all for you what you're wanting. I just thought I'd make sure everyone understood the correct sizes for these different mediums. Your mentioning CD audio is only 1 MB/s when it's actually 10 (probably simply a typo on your part since your estimate of how much music playtime you would get out of the card was near to the mark) was what made prompted me to post. Just so no one else out there gets confused.

/Bob

Reply to
Bob

Ack. Brain fart.