CB Channel Consensus

Long ago there was a discussion about CB channels. Someone suggested channel 16 (4x4) there were some others as well. I'm putting a CB back in my jeep. listening to 19 is fun but its not a good channel for communication, too much chatter. Where can I find others like me? Was there a consensus on a Jeep channel?

Poe

Brampton, Ontario

Reply to
Poe

Our bunch from this group usually run on 16, but most off roaders here in Ontario run on CH 5.

When we are bush running, I ask the local loggers what channel they are on and use that normally so they know when we are on the trails and the other way around.

Mike

Poe wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Here in the states, many folks are using hand held 2-ways. ( 8 GMRS, 7 FRS and 7 shared channels )

Gordon

Hey Mike,

was just out in QC doing some camping/wheeling on some logging roads and they had a sign stating they used ch.10. No problem....but talking to a local, apparently they use FM and not AM or SSB CB's.

What are you running? I cheaped out on mine and ended up with something 3times the size of one of the newer ones with the bells and whistles!

Reply to
Steve

I am running an old Cobra 21channel that was, ummm 'built' for a tower base station. I am in Toronto and have had clear 2 way to Marthas Vinyard on the Atlantic coast.

I also pick up a CB base station on British Columbia's Sunshine coast when I am up on the Canadian Shield in Central Ontario on a regular basis.

The old 'clunker' CB's are the best.....

FM is a private transmitter base station used by companies with units out in the field. Most truckers also run CB.

I would for sure switch to ch 10 and check if I was running in that bush.

Are you coming on our annual RAMJ+W Labour Day run?

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The GMRS/FRS radios offer a clearer signal and less static and NO skip than CB.

CB has been popular for 30+ years now (and been around long before that) and everyone is familiar with it. If the CB'ers were to try GMRS/FRS they would be amazed at the difference.

But what it really comes down to is what is everyone else using? If you have both bring both.

I have access to both and foolishly brought neither last time.

Reply to
Billy Ray

The channel you use depends on local custom and the chanel your friends listen to. Lurking on 19 is fine if there is a traffic jam, but other than that, the CB isn't very useful while you are not actively engaged in the sport of Jeeping.

Reply to
J Strickland

Where's your run going to be? I'm oncall with work (at the moment) on labour day..things might change!

I'm stock height but just switched to 31" Procomp XT's....friggin love'em so far.

Hey, general question....are coil spacers worth the cheap lift?

Reply to
Steve

there's also some function of which channel to use depending on your route of travel. I remember something of this....not what it is exactly.

But say if you're traveling East/West you'd use ch24 and if you were traveling North/South you'd use ch12.

Reply to
Steve

Well, out here in the PDX area we commonly use 24, up around Seattle area its commonly 4, 5, or 6 It really depends on your local area. OBH commonly runs on Ch

  1. But then again many of us dont hardly use the cb anymore and use HAM radio (need license to use) instead.

Reply to
jbjeep

If it's FM, it's probably business band or something like that. It's definitely not a CB, as all CB's, including SSB units, are AM.

Dan (who owns 2 SSB units)

Reply to
Hootowl

ya..wasn't too sure. A local said he can't seem to raise them on his CB on ch 10...maybe he isn't SSB.

Reply to
Steve

I got my ham license but don't wheel with others that do....have been given some flack for using local repeaters too much while they're doing "nets".

Reply to
Steve

You don't have a President 2510, do you? I didn't think so! That one's the bee's knees. __ Steve .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

In the Bancroft area and stock is no issue. I have friends with the spacer lifts and they seem to do ok with them.

Mike

Steve wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

My old CB're days go back to the early 70's. Base station pushing 300 watts with a Jam Ram antenna about 50 ft in the air. The neighbors hated me! Had a Johnson mobile. Nice and reliable.

Reply to
Gordon

As did everyone trying to operate legally.

Reply to
B a r r y

Reply to
FrankW

My experiences were 5 watts got you, well.. nowhere @ 27 MHz.

Reply to
Gordon

Yea, that can happen. Especially if there isnt several repeaters in the area. We usually run a little off national simplex on the trail, and designate a repeater for emergencies...one that does phone patch. More and more of our club is getting HAM radios now. I think there were 17 of us who took the test at the same time a couple of years ago...

Reply to
jbjeep