CB Channel Consensus

Mine too, I still remeber my call #s, XM12671, funny how i can't remeber more then one password on the net but I can remember a call sign from 30+ years ago.

Reply to
Greg

Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Sorry. Greater Portland Metro area. Salem north thru Vancouver, and Banks east to Camas/Washougal.

Reply to
jbjeep

Where is that call sign from originally?

Reply to
jbjeep

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

It's not lingo. It's the abbreviation for the Portland International Airport. Frequent flyers know those things by heart.

Dick

Reply to
Dick

I'm not sure what the local custom is and I don't have any friends. I thought maybe I could find some on the air hello? hello? is anyone out there hello?

Reply to
Poe

Just like airplanes, you call would have started with W, A, N, or K... in USA. My parents were KMQ5440 (or fight!). __ Steve KI5YG .

Reply to
Stephen Cowell

KMP6793 Troubleshooter on the side.....

Reply to
Billy Ray

No, the 'X' does not mean 'international'. For US codes, the trailing 'X' is usually just a place holder for a blank in what would otherwise be a two letter abbreviation:

AEX Alexandria, LA BKX Brookings, SD CKX Chicken, AK KGX Grayling, AK CMX Houghton/Hancock, MI JAX Jacksonville, FL LAX Los Angeles, CA PDX Portland, OR SMX Santa Maria, CA SHX Shageluk, AK TEX Telluride, CO WSX Westsound, WA

Though sometimes the 'X' is actually part of the abbreviation:

BIX Biloxi, MS LEX Lexington, KY PHX Phoenix, AZ SUX Sioux City, IA

Steve

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Steve

In the case of JAX, the first radio station was WJAX and is also a recognized abbreviation for Jacksonville, Fl.

Reply to
Gordon

You can clearly receive a standard "AM" signal on both upper and lower side bands of a channel, as the standard signal uses both. However, an "AM" only radio, while it will receive an SSB signal, will produce only garbled sound.

Dan

Reply to
Hootowl

Where abouts in the humble lands of Brampton are you? sometimes when I'm out and about I have the cb on, generally on 19 to listen to the gravel trucks on hwy 10. but sometimes I also talk to a few pals on 5 or 16.

Snow... lost somewhere in Fletcher's area...

Reply to
Snow

ORD, YEG, YVR, YYC, YHZ, MIA, LHR, LAX just few others off the top of head. Oh and YYZ (with the remains of an a340 off 24 left, amazing 309 survived)

Snow....

Reply to
Snow