SSB CB Usage?

Do jeepers use SSB on their CB radio? I'm shopping for CB's for my jeep. I'm not into CB as I am a ham, so I'm just wondering what features should I be looking out for.

Chris Maness KQ6UP

Reply to
Chris Maness

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

I don't understand this part of your post. A bit vague.

Reply to
Chris Maness

Truckers don't, and the Jeepers I know don't either. If you're going to spend money on SSB, go instead with a good "unlocked" import 10-12 meter radio instead; I like the Galaxy 55V, and I use it in the work truck.

And before you flame me for using 10M without a licence, 99.9% of the time, we use 13M "A" channels, slide 5 khz up/down or just use FM mode, all very harmless activity and more or less, private. And it works FAR better than SSB mode; you don't even have to play with the clarifier to dial someone in.

If all you're going to do is jabber with Jeepers, a $40 AM CB radio is fine. Spend the extra bucks on a good antenna intead of SSB.

Reply to
Outatime

Chris, I don't know really about SSB usage, I think that most of them just use one channel when they go out on runs. I am a ham also, but have purchased a Cobra 75 WX ST CB. It is an "all in one" type of radio, controls and display are all in the handset. Look at the following link for ebay for one

I also use a mag mount 11 meter Wilson whip

Kevin in Iowa

99XJ W0KLH

Chris Maness wrote:

Reply to
Kevin in Iowa

Reply to
L.W.(Bill) Hughes III

[...snipped...]

I have this radio (75 WX ST) too and am happy with it. It takes up very little space and is easy to install. Most use CB to talk to each other on the trail ("trail chatter"). My bet is that you'll find very few with SSB.

Use the difference in price to get a GPS receiver. :)

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

Most of the Guys I see use 'garage sale' CBs or GMRS/FRS radios..

Reply to
billy ray

I have been a ham since I was 14. Thats almost 20 years.

Reply to
Chris Maness

I'll heed the advice. I have the antenna part covered. Wilson 2000 and it works really well.

Reply to
Chris Maness

So far I have found the old plain 23 channel units 'appear' to be the best.

For some reason these old units have 'way' more coverage area than the new ones.

I am comparing my vintage Cobra with a new Cobra and wow, the new one was a bag of dirt for coverage with an antenna tuned properly even.

We have found 'lost' Jeepers way out in the bush by having one person with an old unit sit on a hill relaying messages to the folks with the new units. Eventually someone with a new unit got close enough to pick up the 'lost' person to get a direction fix on them and they got 'found'.

I am in Toronto Canada and have had a 2 way conversation with Martha's Vineyard and there is one place where we off road in the near North of Ontario Canada where I regularly pick up a gent on the pacific coast on the 'sunshine coast' of BC. That sucker must be putting out big time! I 'think' I heard mention of 5000 watts, but that isn't likely right.

Anyhow, we run on CH 5 or CH 16 (4x4 eh) around here so a fancy radio wouldn't help much.

Mike

Mike Romain

I have an old radioshack navajo base / mobil and it's reciever seem to be awesome, but it is just too big for my new jeep. There is no place to put it. The ANL works great -- no spark plug noise. I get a slight amount of altenator whine, but that's no big deal.

Reply to
Chris Maness

Anyone have any opinions on the Cobra 18 WX ST II Mobile CB?

Reply to
Chris Maness

Most of the talk on the CB is trail chatter and the folks with the mobile units don't seem to have any issues with them. I don't know which specific units I have seen or heard though..

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

My CJ5 had a SSB radio when I bought it. I don't remember what I did to it, but it has been replaced. My limited experience is that the SSB worked better -- transmit further and receive weak signals better -- that any of the units I have bought subsequently. Nobody else had a SSB radio, so I could not use that particular feature, but I found that in full wave mode, the SSB radio was far superior in performance than the replacement radios.

I think that it would be wise to have both a CB and a HAM in a Jeep.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Bill, you are not following along, he already has a HAM license.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

SSB is really used for DXing, so I'm not sure it would fit too well into the Jeeping world where you're only trying to contact closer trail mates and trail guides. Besides, you will be hard pressed to find another Jeeper using one.

As I've said before, I use the Cobra WX75ST unit that is a completely removeable "Mr. Potatohead" type of radio. You can easily transport it to another vehicle if need be. That, an FRS and a Yaesu FT1500M for 2 meter.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

I like those radios for the small space. Is the recieve any good? I hear the audio is a little weak, and an external seaker is prefered.

Reply to
Chris Maness

The speaker is good if you have your top on and windows closed or are traveling at low speed. I turned the volume way up on mine with the top off at highway speed. The speaker blew within 10 minutes. I've since wired the CB to the Jeep's stereo speaker through the CB's ext. speaker jack.

I oringinally had a Cobra 4' whip. It broke and I replaced it with a Firestik 3'. The reception is much better with the Firestik. I couldn't say how it compares to other radios. I bought it for close proximity conversation (i.e. trail chatter).

Reply to
Daniel Bibbens

I haven't had a problem hearing it, but I can see how an external speaker would help on the hwy. I might wire one up just as a test to see the difference. I prefer to use the FRS or 2M on the road anyway and I only use the CB during a trail ride.

tw

Reply to
twaldron