Change your oil by three thousand miles.

Change your oil by three thousand miles:

God Bless America, ßill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

My brother-in-law had worked on several of the 2.7L engines and told all his customers change your oil every 3000 miles. A lot of people were using the Schedule B instead of the Schedule A maintenance. He told them unless you drive less than 6000 miles per year change your oil every 3000 miles. Those who listened to him have well over 100,000 miles on their 2.7L engines. Those who did not ended up with a blown engine pay me now or pay me later their choice he said. In the 80s Toyota was having sludge issues on two of their engines and they basically took the same stance DC has. Sludge comes from only one thing and that is not changing your oil as needed.

Reply to
Coasty

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

And use full synthetic or synthetic blend oil because of its greater cleaning ability.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Bill

This page appears to be about a defective Chrysler Corporation engine design. It would be a mistake to generalize from these unfortunate experiences.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

I think his reference is to the engine failure problem appears to be sludge related. It is, of course, difficult to establish an across-the-board link between the various engines.

I feel confidant in my 4 liter as its design is several decades old and by its inline design is suited for torque demanding use.

Reply to
Billy Ray

Sludge is not necessarily related to miles between oil changes. Other contributing factors are engine oil temperature, exhaust and blowby composition, and dust and water in the environment. Your 4.0 is reliable, because it runs too hot for water to collect in the sump. That is probably more important for longevity than inline design. I have seen six cylinder inline engines caked solid with sludge, before the manufacturers figured out they had to run hot, and before the Californians pronounced that they had to have PCV valves.

I first noticed this in 1978. An old mechanic told me, "Short trips are bad". It is a good mantra, if you own any vehicle more powerful than a bicycle.

Earle