Chrysler's Retrofit FI Blows. Is This A Better Alternative?

Cool item. Your question is hard to answer, without asking more questions. I think that this, from the web site, about sums up what you are likely to encounter with a product like this.

"MegaSquirt requires, and develops, a number skills that other aftermarket ECUs don't require. Some would see [this] as a bonus, others would see it as a detriment,"

Look at it another way. Are you old enough, that time is more valuable than money? If so, you really want an engineered and tested solution for your particular application. If you have all the time in the world, then you can save some money, maybe, by building your own system. On the other hand, there are people, who could use a product like this, without having to make a substantial investment of time. You are not one of them, else you would not be asking.

What exactly is it about the Chrysler retrofit, that blows?

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Earle,

I've got one of those Mopar MPFI kits, and they're not worth the money. It gets worse mileage, has worse cold-running performance (usually dies once or twice in cool weather, where cool is 60 degrees or cooler), doesn't provide that much more HP or torque, and is really expensive. And this is after many calls to Hesco and the replacement of many parts.

I don't think the kit below will save you a ton of money, though. You'll still need most of the Mopar MPFI parts.

Reply to
Michael White

The 2 BBL carb on those 4.2's beats the crap out of any FI going for power and mileage. You only do away with the need to tune up a carb. Convenience vs performance...

I'll take the performance and gas mileage any day because I don't mind tweaking tune ups or spending an hour every two or three years putting a $20.00 carb kit in it....

Mike

Michael White wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Read this page, . It describes what fuel injection can be like, if done right. But as I said before, once you get to the point in life, where you have the money, you start to realize the value of time.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton