CJ Brake Caliper Questions

I have the front calipers off as I am in the middle of a complete brake overhaul.

My questions are: While I have the calipers off is there any way to A: Insure the quality of the rubber seals AND B: Any way to flush the calipers out from the inside while they are off?

The fluid running through them was pretty nasty!

Thanks

Reply to
Jack-Jack

Jack-Jack did pass the time by typing:

Well... The only sure way to make them squeeky clean is to remove the piston (usally with compressed air but make sure you put a cloth or sponge in front of the piston), then clean, re-o-ring, and assemble.

You can flush them out, mostly. It just takes more brake fluid and some hose. In through the brake line fitting and out through the bleed screw till it's clear.

Resist the urge to use spray cleaners or gas, that will contaminate the piston and ring and put you back to the rebuild stage.

And if you do take the piston out, be careful setting it back in. Some are real easy to get crossways.

Reply to
DougW

Don't forget to keep your fingers out of the way when blowing out the pistons with compressed air. It's painful just thinking about it.

Reply to
Dave in Columbus

Keep an eye on the piston, and back off on the pressure as it starts to come out. If it stops moving, then try a little more pressure, but not much. If it gets stuck, then push it back in so it is straight, and try again. If you are careful, this should be a simple process, but it is possible to screw things up pretty badly. The piston can get stuck crossways on the way out, just as easily as it can on the way in.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

OK then it sounds like I need to reinstall the bleeder to push the piston out.

How does the piston go in are there slots or grooves? What is holding it in?

I guess the better I understand it the less chance I have of fu%^ing it up.

Thanks

Reply to
Jack-Jack

Is it even possible to reuse the seals?

Reply to
Jack-Jack

Hell with it replacement calipers are $18 w/ exchange @ NAPA

Reply to
Jack-Jack

I just went and got replacements for mine when I rebuilt the brakes. The replacements were less than $25.00 each with the core charge for the old one.

Mike

Jack-Jack wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

The seal is the part of the assembly, that is designed to take the wear. It has the shortest life span, of any of the components. If the seal is not worn out, you could reuse it, but it wouldn't make sense to do so. Compare the cost of new seals, with the cost or aggravation to replace them.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Did you also do a rotor replacement / turning ???

Are the rotors difficult to replace (i.e. get off the hub) ??

Reply to
Rod Gramlich

I replaced mine. They were difficult to pop off the hubs due to rust. I used lots of anti seize when putting things back together.

Mike

Rod Gramlich wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You can buy a kit of rubber parts and rebuild the calipers, then you will ensure the quality of the rubber and flush them at the same time.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Rebuild Kits: $17 Rebuilt Calipers with ALL the hardware $18 w/core x

Reply to
Jack-Jack

Jack-Jack did pass the time by typing:

The only thing I'd add about rebuilt parts is watch the quality. With the cheap/china/korea stuff you get what you pay for. Factory is almost always higher quality metal and castings.

Reply to
DougW