CJ dash lights not working

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

LOL!

Don't you have the plastic lights for all the switches and pull knobs?

I have a tach and clock too which have plastic cases.

I don't remember how many others have a black wire, I did my 'glass body back in 2000.

Mike

CRWLR wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Same here. The dash would light up only with the switch in the full brightness position.

Thom.

Reply to
Thom

I just looked at my spare `78 gauge cluster, the type common to CJs from

1955 - `86. I don't know for sure what the pre-`76 dash wiring was like but my SWAG is that it was the same.

  • All of the _dimmable_ in-dash lights, meaning the rectangular lights over in-dash heater, wiper and light controls are two-wire, orange and black.

  • All of the _dimmable_ gauge illumination lights are single orange wires in the OEM harnesses (1978, 1978). Im my Painless replacement harness all of these gauge lights are two-wire, orange and black.

  • The direction indicators and the high-beam indicator are single wire and take their ground return from the speedo cluster. The brake warning light and the unused "emergency drive" indicator are two-wire sockets.

The `79 - `86 headlight switch is an off-the-shelf GM part, the dome light switch is on the ground side.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

mine don't even light in the full brightness position

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

Are you sure you checked the correct fuse? There's one labeled ACC on the left side, second row up. There's another labeled ACC LPS on the bottom row. ACC LPS is the one that feeds the dash lights. Just a thought. It's easy to be misled by the similar labeling. Good luck. TrailMarker.

Reply to
TrailMarker

yes, checked the ACC LPS fuse, thanks

Reply to
Jeff Scherb

My 4x4 light just fell out and stayed lit, so it is a 2 wire as well.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Your "Emergency Drive" light works? I saw two capped, threaded holes over the shift rods in my transfer case and figured I could wire mine up but couldn't find a switch long enough to work.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

I have the dana 300 t-case and mine is an orange 4x4 light.

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

Hmmmm. Might you have any idea if the switch for the Dana 300 will work in a Spicer 20?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III