Cleaning Chrome Rims

Hello All - I just picked up some chrome rims that have some surface rust. Does anyone have any good methods of cleaning these? Can you put anything on them afterwards to help prevent further rusting? The methods that I am aware of are steel wool to clean and wax to prevent rust. I am just fishing around for other ways that might be better if they exist. Thanks to everyone, this forum is full of great information.

Reply to
macgraphics

macgraphics did pass the time by typing:

I've been fairly happy with what this flitz stuff has done.

PepBoys/Autozone/etc carry the stuff. I picked up a tube at Steves Tools.

Tried it on a bunch of stuff. Some killer results, some ehhhh.

It has kept the oxidation off of some aluminum I polished so if it can do that it can help keep rustbunnies off of chrome.

DougW

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

naval jelly will remove alot of it, then you can use the steel wool less.

Reply to
Steve G

Wax is good too. If you have rust on chrome, what you actually have is perforated chrome. You need to prevent water and air from getting to the steel underneath. Although the iron phosphate formed from the application of Naval Jelly and similar products is good protection, it is not perfect protection. Also, although chrome is hard stuff, you can still scratch it. Use the fine steel wool, or a mild automotive polish.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton