Clutch Problem?

Lo Jeepers,

Wondering if anyone has any helpful advice/wisdom for tracking down the cause of 1998 wrangler (4.0 TJ Sport) problem.

Firstly the problem only ever occurs from stationaly and never when free wheeling or shifting in higher gears. Not does the problem occur from cold, but does start occuring after the vehicle is warmed up.

The problem occurs when I pull away in 1st or 2nd gear from stationaly and results in a shuddering start (which I appear to be able to effect with the clutch) and a nice screetching/wining/clunking noise.

My own best guess is that its a worn/dirty clutch juding from the way its been getting worse I doubt its oil/dirt.

Would I be correct in fitting a uprating after market clutch or should I be looking someplace else on the Jeep?. Also this will be my third clutch and feel I should really be trying to fix the cause of the problem and not just replace the clutch. Someboyd has mentioned that it could well be an unbalanced flywheel or a worn release bearing does any one have any experiance of how to diagnose this? (Preferably without removing the trannie

Thanks in advance..

Gyp

Reply to
Gyp