Screetching Clutch

1991 Miata

I have noticed that when it rains that my clutch sometimes screetches when I engage the clutch. Now, in the really cold weather, and no rain or water around, its also ocasionally causing that screetching sound. Metalic screetching. Very loud, and embarassing to drive.

When it occasionally happens, it does so in the following manner:

I engage the clutch, it starts screetching and it seems to continue with the clutch engaged or not-engaged, until I get going and then it seems to be ok. I think that it needs to warm up, to have less of a propensity to RE-Screetech.

Any ideas?

Reply to
Pat

Clutch throwout bearing???

Reply to
mcyben

Are you sure it's the clutch and not the accessory belt ("fan belt")?

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

Throw-out bearing is shot...seen it a hundred times

-- Jerry Randolph '90B Red Houston, TX

Reply to
Jerry

Larry, it only happens when my left foot hits that clutch and I start applying acceleration as I ease off the clutch.

Reply to
Pat

Really dumb question:

What is involved in a throw out bearing and does that mean the clutch has to be replaced or is the throw out bearing a separate part? Approximate cost?

Reply to
Pat

Throwout bearing, then. While the transmission is out, might as well replace the clutch, rear main seal, and tranny front seal as well.

Reply to
Lanny Chambers

The throw-out bearing is separate from the clutch disc and pressure plate. Personally, If I were going to take the time to pull the tranny or have it done at a shop the labor hours are the same to change the clutch pressure plate and throw-out bearing as it is to just change the bearing.

$95 for the whole clutch kit I'm using this clutch disc with a centerforce pressure plate...get a little chatter, but man does it ever clamp!!!
$653&cat_id&cat_name=Clutches/Driveline&sc_idH&sc_name=Clutches Autozone.com TIMKEN THROW OUT BEARING for a1990 MAZDA MIATA

Unit Price: $22.99

Part No.: 614128

-- Jerry Randolph '90B Red Houston, TX

Reply to
Jerry

Jerry,

Thanks for the tip at Mazdaperformance - they're half the price of where I normally buy my stuff (PBC) for the same OEM part! Don't need a clutch yet but think I'll order the parts just to have them in stock when the time comes, especially before that price goes away.

Tom

92 Red

Jerry wrote:

Reply to