Two single-DIN audio units?

Can you mount two single-DIN audio units in a Miata in place of the factory double-DIN stereo?

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Yes. I did that years ago and it works just fine. It sure beats having that extra pocket staring at you. :)

Reply to
DragonRider

I was hoping to find a DIN format MP3 jukebox, but nobody makes them since Empeg/SonicBlue went under. :(

I guess I could watch e-bay for a used one.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

Just get an in car DVD unit. Most of these play back MP3s (check first, of course) and 4.5 Gb of MP3 music should keep your ears happy for a while.

Even a CD based MP3 unit will give you over 7 hours of music on one disc.

Reply to
Andre Queree (Mr Q)

I've thought about that. I'd need to get a DVD burner as well.

Yes, but the album I want to listen to is invariably on a different CD. I'm trying to escape from hauling around CDs in my car.

I've been looking at MP3 capable CD changers as well, but they're all trunk-mount also (I don't have much trunk space to spare). If I'm going to mount something in the trunk, I might as well go with a Phatnoise box or something.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I used to have one. Lot's of trouble with it; no wonder they disappeared. Now I have a 20Gb Jukebox Zen in the glove box, hooked up to the line-inputs of the OEM deck (as was the trunk-mounted Sonicblue.)

Unlike the much more expensive Sonicblue, the Zen has a compressor; essential in a Miata if you ask me.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen

I've thought about something like a Zen or iPod, but having to pull it out of the glove box or console to change playlists sounds like such a hassle.

I can see how a compressor would be nice.

Reply to
Grant Edwards

I have it on random song selection. It would be nice to be able to skip to the next song without stopping the car.

Leon

Reply to
Leon van Dommelen