2005 cd player question

I've got a 2005 Vibe with the original cd / radio unit. (I had a 2003 Vibe before this one with the same unit). It's not the 6 cd changer, it's just the standard one. The cd player seems to be flaky on an off. Sometimes it doesn't eject the cd all the way, sometimes it skips. Sometimes it errors when I put a cd in, spits it back out, then works fine the second time. There is no rhyme or reason. I rarely play a "store bought" cd, I copy all my music cd's and leave the copies in my car. I did the same with my first Vibe.

The first Vibe had to have it's cd unit replaced twice if I remember correctly. This current one hasn't been replaced yet but I've asked the Service Department to check it out. When I scheduled it's oil change this morning, I mentioned the cd player. The lady on the phone said that GM is now using a unit or computer (?) that is preventing them from correctly playing burned cds. I should mention...the format of these cd's is NOT MP3, but regular music or WAV files. I've always used burned cd's except for when I've just bought a new music cd and open it in the car. I don't want to have my original cd's in my car for various reasons.

Anyway...has anyone heard this about GM using units that won't play burned cd's? What about those folks who buy music online and only have those songs available on a burned cd?

Thoughts or comments? I think she's full of it myself...but she said she's been going through this with other GM owners and that is the line she's getting from GM.

Melissa

Reply to
Melissa

Sorry about that...

Melissa

Reply to
Melissa

Has it occurred to you to try a store bought cd and not a copy you make to see if what GM is saying is correct?

Reply to
Jerry

The last store bought cd I bought wouldn't play at all. The copy plays. The original just keeps erroring and being ejected. I can try some other originals, but I still think her answer is nonsense. I understand that burned cd's are damaged easier than a purchased one, and usually you can tell if there are scratches. This doesn't seem to the case...the problem is intermittent.

Melissa

Reply to
Melissa

Did you run a CD Cleaner in the player? It sounds like dirt is in there or on the CD itself.

Reply to
Les Benn

Take that store bought cd, plus a few others with you to the dealer and ask them to explain why they don't work. Would think it's still under the bumper to bumper warranty and that the player should replace it. I burn music on cdrw disks and never had one not work in my Dodge Dakota nor my Pontiac 98 Grand Prix.

Reply to
Jerry

No offence, but I have never had a CD-RW that would play in a car. CD-R's yes, not the RW's.

Reply to
80 Knight

No offence taken. I've never used CR-R's for music as the CD-RW's allow me the obvious advantage of re-use when I tire of the music.

Reply to
Jerry

Now if they could only make a stock car stereo capable of playing DVD-RW's. Nothing like 4.5 gig's of MP3's! ;-)

Reply to
80 Knight

That would hold a lot of songs, at least many of the automakers are offereing mp3 capable cd players and there are plenty of after market makers. I have a Philips boom box that does mp3 on cdr or cdrw and use it a lot to play my huge collection of Old Time Radio shows, works great. It was great when I bought it but I just picked up a Sandisk 1gb mp3 player for $35 and it holds almost twice as many OTR shows as a cd does.

Reply to
Jerry

Reply to
D Ford