Dana 25 front axle, lubricate

Hi

I have recently bought a M38A1 from 1960, equipped with a Rover 3.5L V8 engine.

It have Dana 25 axel in front and Dana 44 in the rear.

I'm trying to find all the places to lubricate with the greasegun but I don't seem to find any "greasenipples" at the front axle?

Hope someone here can help me out, there are not so many old jeep's here in Denmark

Henrik M38A1, Rover V8

Reply to
Henrik

L.W.(ßill)

the steering knuckles have been converted from ninety weight oil to> grease that you will put in the fill plug to protect the axle universal> joints.

Ok, I found the fill plug, thank you for the excellent link, that lead me to even more information about lubricants used in the steering knuckles.

Now that I was looking at the front axle I found another possible fill plug? It is a bolt, looks like about 6mm, fitted in the axle about 15cm from the steering knuckles, in an angle of maybe 15 degrees. Any idea what these bolts do?

Henrik M38A1, Rover V8

Reply to
Henrik

> the steering knuckles have been converted from ninety weight oil to> > grease that you will put in the fill plug to protect the axle universal> > joints.

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Hi Bill

Hard to explain precesily where the bolts are located but tomorrow I will try to take a decent picture, maybe that wil solve the mystery.

Henrik

> > the steering knuckles have been converted from ninety weight oil to> > > grease that you will put in the fill plug to protect the axleuniversal

Reply to
Henrik

Now I finaly managed to get the photo taken. The green arrow indicates the grease fill plug if I have understood you right and the red circle indicates the bolt that I don't know what to do with.

Thanks for all your help

Henrik

Reply to
Henrik

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Interesting engine swap. Bet it goes quite well ! FWIW, if you blow a head gasket, dont use the tin Rover replacement ones; but get the composite ones from a 61-63 Buick which will fit nicely.

Dave Milne