Dead battery (don't laugh)

Well, I left the lights on this evening and I come out to a dead battery. Turn the key and all I get is "click". I poulled out the cables and got a jump to get it started (drove around for about 10-15 minutes) but it won't stay running without goosing the gas. I ask you not to laugh because this is my first dead battery and I don't know if these symptoms mean I need a new one or if I get it started and drive a little longer, will this battery come back to life?

n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks, Bill. I hope you're right... I'll drive to work tomorrow (30 minutes+) and if it doesn't start after work, I've got the cables with me so I can get somewhere and buy a new battery. Maybe an Optima...

n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Nathan Otis did pass the time by typing:

Just a hunch but it sounds like the computer lost the TPS calibration.

Give this a whack. With the key on, engine not running, slowly depress the gas peddle all the way to the floor and slowly release it about five times. (slow is about a six second round trip, so it's not too s.l.o.w.) :)

Turn the key off, and then start the engine and see if that helps.

Reply to
DougW

If your battery is several years old (say 4 years or more) and you do a full discharge, the battery will usually drop crud off the plates and short out at least one cell. Take it to a decent battery place, they will test it (for free!) on an automated tester that charges the battery, measures the temp to properly correct for temp, and then puts a suitable load on it.

My take is that the first time the battery gives you any flack at 4 years or better, just replace it. Try> Well, I left the lights on this evening and I come out to a dead battery.

Reply to
RoyJ

Give it a good long charge, a few months ago I left my lights on on the CJ for a week, yes a week, battery of unknown age, ( I've had jeep for 2 years, battery in it when I got it ) anyway gave it a slow charge on a charger and all was fine.

Reply to
Greg

I have a similar problem,

I have a red top and a yellow top optima. The batteries are dead it seemed, I didn't drive the Jeep in over half a year.

So I bought a charger, the yellow top charges just fine. The redtop however doesn't seem to charge. On the charger an indicator says that the voltage is bearly getting over 10V. Since there "seem" to be six cells (6 cylinder shapes on the outside) does that probably mean that one of the cells in the red top isn't working anymore ?

On the web I read something about Optima batteries need to be charged in a "special" way, is that true ?

I just want to make sure the optima red top is dead.. I hate to put in a new red top if the old one is not broken.

thanks,

Ron

Greg wrote:

Reply to
Ron Croonenberg

Well, it could mean the end of the road for the battery if it is an old one, or it could be suitable for recharging. Driving for 10 minutes isn't going to help though. The battery can be checked to see if it can hold a charge reliably, but if the battery is more than 36 months old, it is probably toast and you should just break down and buy a new one.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

Well... It started right up this morning. I drove it to work and it seemed ok, except it died when I parked it. Started right up after work and was fine on the way home but it died at a couple stop lights and again when I parked. Each time I have no problems starting it... After it sits for a while it will run, too (like this morning and after work when I started it).

What's going on? Is this just the battery or is there another problem? n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Reply to
mic canic

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Will do. n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

If that's the case, would it be worth it to pull the pos. cable and let it reset?

PER:

n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

Nathan Otis proclaimed:

You might want to call your local Sears auto store and see if they would check your current battery for charge capability. They carry the Optima as well as the DieHard. A 4WheelParts store if in your area might also be willing to check your battery.

If the battery is very old and has been completely discharged, sometimes you can shock charge it...which won't happen in a vehicle, but usually the newer battery constructions rarely recover for long after a full discharge unless rather new or designed for deep cycling.

Reply to
Lon

Last night I pulled the positive cable and reset the PCM. Drove around a little and it seemed ok (didn't die when I stopped). Started right up this AM, drove to work fine (doorless, I might add). Started up after work and came home fine. Seems all is well. Thanks all for the help. n.

Nathan Otis