Diesel Conversion for Wrangler

Does anyone make a Diesel conversion for a YJ or TJ? I want a diesel but I don't want the Liberty.

Reply to
Steelgtr62

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

No self respecting male is going to drive a 4WD that looks like one of those Chinese dogs. Have you ever seen a Liberty??

Also, it has independent front and rear suspension and isn't really meant for offroad. I think it is for girls like those little Kia's.

Reply to
Steelgtr62

Independent front. Corporate 8.25 rear. Not meant for offroad.

Jim not a KJ fan

Reply to
Jim Kelly

Maybe he meant "why do you want a diesel"?

just a guess

I think the KJ thing is too obvious... lol

--James

Reply to
RocknTJ

consider buying a diesel pickup truck from one of the major corps (ford / chevy / dodge) and chopping the frame and dropping a jeep fiberglass body on it, ~D

Reply to
Closed

because they are better off road - they run when wet & develop more torque per litre (as well has costing less to run)

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's one of the more stupider ideas I have heard. If he wanted something that heavy he'd just have the pickup.

A lot of people want light smallbore diesel engines, not PowerStrokes or B/ISB Cumminses.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The Diesel pollutes less, because the total volume of long term emissions is less. Remember HC and CO turn into CO2.

Diesel is the only power source I would even look at for off road transportation (rather than screwing around) use. Torque, reliability, simplicity and safety all favor Diesel, to say nothing of fuel burn. I think that's true of most professional users.

This Hughes-he's a nutter, is he?

Reply to
Steelgtr62

Depends on the day. ;-)

He has tons of good info and some easy buttons to push like lots of folks here. Some folks only seem to post here to push his buttons unfortunately.

Diesel isn't very common in North America. No pollution standards for it and 'really' high emissions fuel itself haven't made it popular with a lot of folks. Even the sulfur content they get away with in the Canadian gasoline is a crime, literally in other places.

Diesel trucks off road are heavy, noisy, smelly and dirty.

Mike

Mike Romain

no, he's not a nutter, he just hates diesels, probably because US diesels

*are* old and dirty.

The Jeep I6 puts out 302 g/km of CO2 and weighs 1670kg. The BMW 3.0 td puts out 184 g/km of CO2 for the same car weight. The BMW engine puts out 369lb ft torque @ 2000 rpm, and the Jeep engine 221 lb/ft @ 3500 rpm.

However, for what I do, the I6 has plenty of torque and has the advantage of simplicity. I suspect the BMW engine wouldn't do too well submerged, although doubtless it could be waterproofed.

Particulates and sulphur is the problem with diesels - from 1st Jan our fuel will be The Diesel pollutes less, because the total volume of long term emissions is

Reply to
Dave Milne

Ok, we'll leave the old guy alone.

But diesel isn't scarce: all medium and heavy trucks, most school buses, all highway buses, all construction equipment, most generator sets, and any equipment on a airport all run diesel.

Only small vehicles with diesel engines are uncommon. North America is the only place where this seems so.

So, I figured, swapping a diesel engine into a readily available vehicle would be good.

We'll have to see, but it looks like the four cylinder Isuzu they use in rail reefer packages and in skid steer loaders is what I want. I need to get a bellhousing made and a flywheel drilled for a small block Chevy clutch.

Reply to
Steelgtr62

If thats the 3.1 TD, I'm don't think you are going to get much benefit from it to make it worth the cost, and there are the obvious disadvantages.

Fuel consumption (Trooper Insignia) 26.9 imperial (GC is 18.2).

Torque is 245 ( I6 is 221-230 depending on year) Bhp is 157 ( I6 is 174 to 190 depending on year) Emissions CO2 is 278 g/km ( I6 is 302) HC & NOx g/km is 0.78 ( I6 is 0.82)

Dave Milne

Having driven my Wife's new Lib in 4-lo, I differ with that statement. It's no built-to-the-hilt trail pig that turns 35" plus, but the low end is as real as any Jeep I've seen off-road.

(dons flamesuit) n.

Reply to
Nathan Otis

More torque, better milage, etc. And when you convert it to biodiesel, you can point out to the enviromentalists that it's truly using renewable resources. And the exhaust smells like, mmm, french fries and doughnuts!

I'd be all over a diesel wrangler.

Reply to
Greg Allen

The rail buggies are really cool. Bill, I know you probably have some pic's. I miss them. I grew up near Silver Lake Sand Dunes in MI. They rail buggies rocked. I road 3 wheelers then.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

LOL!

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired

I'd give one a fair shake! The biodiesel thing interests me, too. Come the revolution, things will be different, y'know !

-jeff

Reply to
Handywired