Diesel Conversion for Wrangler

Planning on going next month. Cool place.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

It would probably be as easy to get a six cylinder Isuzu as a four, or possibly a SD42 Nissan. They probably aren't likely any longer than the 4 liter Jeep six.

Have you thought about the Benz five cylinder? They're pretty common and already in automotive trim.

Reply to
Ted Azito

He's no environmentalist. He thinks old piece of shit musclecars with oversized carburetors, leaded fuel, and points ignition are great, so are BIG slobbering 855 Cumminses and 71/92 Detroits. He hates small diesels, alternate fuels, and basically anything that is contrary to the old peckerwood way.

Anything different would make him think, and thinking hurts his brain.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There was (and still are-some are still in production, but not for on-road) a 53, 71, 92, 110 and 149 Series engines.

The 53 came in a 2,3,4, V6 and V8.

The 71 was the most long-lived in terms of production and numbers and the biggest variety. There are 1,2,3,4, and 6 cylinder inlines and a V6, V8, V12 and a V16. There are oddball variants that even most Detroit mechanics don't know about such as marine engines with centrifugal rather than Roots blowers.

The 92s are essentially 71s with wet rather than dry liners and all are V's, V6, V8 and V16. There may be a 12, I can't remember. One oddball was an all aluminum one that had stainless steel cranks and cams and titanium conrods. It was made for use in minesweeping boats and had an absolutely minimal magnetic signature.

The 110s and 149s were strictly industrial engines and not very common and aside from a 6-110 I have no idea as to their varieties.

The 71 was a revolutionary deal when it was introduced.The blower could go on either side, the crank could turn either way, the head could go on the block either way.

In any event, it's irrelevant because even a 3-53 is way too heavy for a Jeep, except maybe an old Wagoneer.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

That's a lie too. You know 71s and 92s are related engine families with a lot of commonality.Mechanics and engineers say 71/92 Detroits all the time, generally because what's good for one is usually good for the other.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

SB Chevs came in at least ten different sizes from 262 to 400 cid. Plus the four cylinder Chevy II (which takes SB rods,pistons,a head,et al) plus the 90 degree V6 Chevy which takes many SB Chev parts too. You want to spell out every possible combination-including aftermarket ones like Sesco, the 377 and 383, et al-you could. It would just make you look dumber. OTOH....

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

The 262"^3 Chevy V-8 small block was built in 1975. The Chevy "small block" V-6s were produced in 200, 229 and 4.3L sizes and all were odd-fire V-6s. Any of them would make excellent Jeep motors. See:

Jeff Lowe

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

There are no patents involved. There was tooling. But splayed crank journals on "wrong angle" vee engines go back a long time. Patents are

17 years with one extension,34 years at most. And Lancia had them in the twenties. (Prior art is prior art).

The Chevy 90 degree V6 is all SB Chevy with two less cylinders. Bringing up the Buick is like licking your balls then your ass like the previous poster said, aimless wandering off topic. It works with a lot of the baby-peckerwoods here but you haven't fooled me yet, you old sneaky snake, have you?

I would rather have the Buick or the very underrated 3.8 Ford V6 (do a Google search on Dave Blanton)than the Chev because the distributor is in the front and parts are no tougher. But if you want a gas sucking gas motor instead of an efficient torque-making diesel the 4 liter inline Six from Jeep you already have is just as good. When it's replaced by a Stuttgart designed engine (as it will be, you know) even I'll miss it.

A little.

Reply to
Ted Azito

L.W.(ßill) Hughes III let out a sulfurous butt cloud: Stick to your POS diesel, that'll never run.

My POS diesel just rolled over 315,000 miles this morning.

Reply to
Ted Azito

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

He's right. You are wrong. The Buick V6 and the Chevy V6 are no relation. And off-set crank pins go back a long way. I don't know about Lancia but the Ferrari Dino engine was a 65 degree six, which is wrong as are the shallow angle Lancia and VW/Audi engines and the 90 degree V6. Sixes and twelves should be 60 or 120 degrees and eights should be 90 or 45. I think a V10 should be 72 degrees but I'm not sure. I know the 90 degree ones are wrong and Dodge admitted it.

Reply to
Steelgtr62

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Bill: plain and simple: There ARE Chevy odd fire V-6 engines. These are

*not* Buick engines as you keep saying. They are also not the 60 degree even fire V6s that Jeep put in the early Cherokee as shown in your second reference. Read:
Jeff Lowe