81-84 Diesel engine conversion

I am getting ready to convert my 84' Jetta 1.7l(CIS) to diesel. I live in the middle of Chevy/Ford country where there are no pre-2000 VW's at all(even less-so of diesels). I am going to have to do the conversion in about a week. So I would like to have everything on hand cause I would probabally have to order anything I am missing. I have a list of things I have/planning to order.

Engine w/inj. pump. intake manifold Fuel filter assym. & fuel lines * filler neck

200mm clutch kit Bentley for diesel jetta

I can manage making the glowplug circuit. Is it suppose to only run the plugs at a certain temp? and for how long?

Is there anything else I need? Does anyone know of a good place to get the above? Does anyone have any hints on the conversion?

Does anyone have any high-res pics of the engine bay?(e-mail snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com)

TIA, Jerritt

Reply to
Jerritt

JMHO but it is better to already have one that is diesel. Try some salvage yards, classifieds, Ebay to possibly locate a wrecked one that is still driveable then you will have all parts needed. ;-)

So many little things you are overlooking: Front strut springs should be different to handle the extra weight of the engine. Transmission is geared differently to handle the optimum torque of the diesel engine. Radiator should be different, although I think the gas one can handle it. Accelator cable and FI pump cable Exhaust will not have the cat. conv for the diesel. Fresh air hose for the air cleaner. Not to mention some of the wiring is different, fuse for the glow plugs, wire for the FI pump.

Yes the glow plug relay should only supply power to the glow plugs when it's coolant temperature sensor tells it is cold enough. The Relay will determine the length of time for powering up the glow plugs, along with the sensor. Usually the relay is matched to the glow plugs (Fast Glow Plugs and Fast Relay instead of slow and slow)

good luck later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

Oh I forgot that even the starter is different for the diesel. ;-) later, dave

Reply to
dave AKA vwdoc1

I would recommend against trying to "convert" from gas to diesel (or diesel to gas). Do you have emissions inspections where you live? That's usually keyed off the VIN and the VIN for a gas car will indicate that you have to pass the tests for the emissions standars for a gas car. You might not be able to pass emissions inspection or get a tag with a diesel engine under the hood. And even if it's OK where you live now, you could never move and take the vehicle to anyplace with strict emissions checking.

The only way to do this, if you absolutely must do it, is to have an entire donor vehicle with the diesel engine and everything you need. The whole fuel system is different. The entire electrical harness under the hood is different. The diesels got different transmissions (though a gas one might work, it wouldn't be optimal). It will be a whole lot of trouble, and doing the job right will be a lot of work. There's also a plethora of "little things" that will drive you nuts. The brackets for the CIS fuel distributor will probably have to be removed. The windshield washer bottle is in a different location on the diesels. The diesel fuel filter is different, mounted in a different place with a different bracket. The vacuum lines are routed different. Basically, everything is different and you'll have to move/rewire a lot of stuff besides the most obvious engine and fuel related things.

-- Racer X

1984 VW Jetta Diesel GT 1992 Mazda Miata 1994 Caravan (OK, maybe it's a keeper, but I still want a VW Caddy) 1995 Ford Escort (Hey, it was free) 1983 VW Rabbit GTI (ITB racer) 1988 Mazda RX-7 (Soon to be ITS racer) 1992 GMC Topkick (portable garage for racecar[s])
Reply to
Racer X