Clear Gearz

Has anyone used the new product I see being advertised, the see-thru diff covers? It seems like a neat idea but I am skeptical of anything clear being near strong enough to do the job.

Reply to
Joshua Nelson

JP magazine did a test on one where they ran it over, and it broke.

BUT, they said that it would not have broken if it had actually been mounted.

I don't personally know of anybody who has one.

matt

Reply to
Matt

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

There was a "shootout" of diff covers recently in one of the mags. The "clear gearz" cover was flexible and got crushed in their test (bolted it to a steel plate and ran over it with a bulldozer), and they made the lamest claim..."if there were gears behind it, the gears may have helped it to keep its shape." I tend to be skeptical when a diff cover's propensity to crush and come in contact with moving parts is touted as a "feature."

They're worthless IMO for 'wheeling, but are probably more at home on trailer-queen show trucks.

And for some reason the name "clear gearz" reminds me of the accessory no one should be without, "Truck Nutz."

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

I think you are smart to be skeptical here. Your diff cover needs to be able to bend long before it will break. My diff covers have had the imprint of the ring gears on them, so I think I have pretty good experience here. I now have a diff guard so I don't get a new batch of ring gear marks, but the point is, if I had a see through diff cover, I would have left a full load of gear oil all over the trail on more than one occasion.

Reply to
CRWLR

The clear covers are more than likely not as durable as a steel couterpart; however, the bulldozer test isn't exactly a real world scenario.

What about the clear diff covers with a guard as well? Something like these:

oryour favorite brand/model? This might provide the protection, but the clear cover would allow the condition of the fluid to be visible.

Just a thought...

Reply to
<olllllllo

Is there really, I mean REALLY, a reason to have a clear diff cover? No. It is a show 'n tell thing that has no place on a Real Jeep. It clearly, no pun intended, has high overhead in terms of reliability and no viable function on a Jeep.

Reply to
CRWLR

CRWLR did pass the time by typing:

That and after the gear lube and suspended metal particles get sloshed around it will become all hazed.

Reply to
DougW

I have a neat cover, it has a bolt that I remove that is big enough to stick my finger in. If I feel oil it is good enough, if I can't feel oil I add some. I just check it when I change my oil, and I have NEVER had a problem with it. Now that I think about it I think we all have a cover just like mine.

Reply to
Fletcher

My biggest fear is that it stops leaking because this means it's empty.

Reply to
CRWLR

Only benefit I could see (no pun intended :) ) is that after a water crossing you might be able to tell if the assembly was at risk or not. I can imagine the value in that.

Otherwise, everything else about them is esoteric and non-viable to me as well.

Reply to
<olllllllo

Approximately 10/31/03 16:22, snipped-for-privacy@sbcglobal.net uttered for posterity:

What are they made of? Lexan and a few other plastics are easily robust enough, but would expect them to get all scratched up on any real trail rig plus the internals might get all hazed over soon.

There *are* glasses easily stronger than steel, but they aren't known for even the slightest amount of flex once they hit something at or above their bustage rating.

Wonder if the things come with little neon lights you can put inside the case for weekend road cruising?

Reply to
Lon Stowell