Differential Gasket???

I can't remember, if the cover gasket is supposed to be installed dry? No silicone needed right?

Reply to
Paul Brogren

I always use silicone, both sides of the gasket. But I'm sure you will get varied opinions here.

-- JimG

80' CJ-7 258 CID 35" BFG MT on 15x10 Centerlines D44 Rear, Dana 30 Front. SOA 4.56 Gears, LockRight F&R Dana 300 w/4:1 & Currie twin sticks Warn X8000i w/ dual batteries
Reply to
JimG

Use 3/4 tube of RTV with no gasket, works just fine on my 82. Its easier to use RTV rather gaskets because you don't have to go buy gaskets every time you change out your fluid.

Reply to
Barry R.

TJs just use instant gasket - don't know about CJs. However, it is common practice on cars which do have a gasket to use instant gasket on both sides. Give it a bit of a smear with the finger - let the solvent evaporate for a bit, and then let it cure overnight before re-filling. Also make sure there is instant gasket on the inside of the bolt holes (or it will leak out there).

Dave Milne, Scotland '99 TJ 4.0 Sahara

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Does anyone successfully use those oil extractors instead of removing the covers all of the time? Currently dealing with 4 Jeeps and I don't relish always having to remove and install the diff covers. :-) thanks, dave

Reply to
Dave

Guy's I just used a couple small dab's of High Tack to hold gasket and put the gasket in dry. I figure once I get it too torque spec. average 20 ft. lbs. I'll be good to go. I found my note book I keep and that's what I did with the rear last fall. No Leaks.

Reply to
Paul Brogren

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Reply to
David C. Moller

Reply to
Fletcher

metal particles, water, and gunk collect at the lowest point. This is one of the reasons most auto-trans have no drain plug, they want you to actually check/change the filter and remove the contaminants.

Reply to
Paul Calman

I use gaskets and no RTV front and rear. No leaks no problems.

Greg

Reply to
GMP News

Thanks David and Paul! I guess I will stock up on RTV, fluid and just take off the 8 covers (4 Jeeps) to change them right. :-( Hey maybe I will paint the covers since they will be coming off. :-) It just seemed that those extractors could help speed fluid changes along. oh well!! later, dave

Reply to
Dave