Disconnecting swaybar, K&N filter question, engine mod questions

Um, just checking here... I have a 4 inch lift, and stock brake lines. If I disconnect the swaybar, is there a chance that the flex will pull the brake lines out? (2001 TJ)

I see alot of those K&N airfilter kits on jeeps. When I go muddin', it's ALL OVER the engine compartment. Do those guys go muddin with those filters? If so, how do you keep the mud off/out of the filter?!?!

Finally, after looking over this newsgroup... I take it that all those aftermarket engine mods (k&n, headers, throttle body spacers, jet chips, etc) are crap? Unless you added ALL of them up together, and spent all that money.

Is there anything simple or cheap (ya right huh?) that can be done to the

4.0 engine for performance? Not that I'm in need of the power, I think it's the best already. The only thing I've done is add a flowmaster 40 muffler to the thing, I love that sound.

Troy

Reply to
Troy

well if you have money to give away for those "go fast" items, just send me a money order for what they total and I'll send you a nice new roll of aluminium foil that you can use to "chrome" things on your TJ like your door handles, gas cap, mirrors, even your bumpers can be done (for this the cost will double as I will have to send you the jumbo roll).

Snow ... "woke up on the smart ass side of bed today" :-)

Reply to
Snow

me guesses if you wanted horsepower, you should-a bought a mustang ?((hehe)) I sold my cobra for my Rubi and I lovin' it ! seriously though;

- not sure on the brake lines.

- K&N makes a difference where more air is going to make slightly more HP, like my old cobra but just how many horsies are we gonna gain from allowin' more air in to a 6 banger ? eh.. secondly, I think for the nearly nothing gain on a K&N upgrade, I would be more worried about getting muddin' & stuff in the engine.

dave === you must first take out MYUGLYSISTER to email me privately ===

Reply to
Dave

chips are "ok" if your willing to run only high octane fuel. The plus side is the modification is reversable and installation is usually fairly easy.

As for the header, for the I6 it's just plain cheaper than buying a new Jeep one to replace the POS that brakes due to poor design.

Reply to
DougW

You said you put on 4" of lift, I assume you also have oversized tires. If I am right, what you need is new gears, not a box full of chips, airtubes, and other stuff.

Yes, the flex can pull the brake lines out.

Reply to
Jeff Strickland

My TJ with a 4 inch lift absolutely requires the longer brake lines.

I have a K&N in the stock air box, but after seeing this link I am seriously thinking about removing it.

(Link comes courtesy of Daniel Stern in rec.autos.tech)

Snake oil, it's all snake oil. Now something proven to improve off road performance is putting lower gears in your diff. Another good ones are lockers, lifts, better tires, and winches are good, too. ;-) Some guys have put superchargers on with good results. (I'd worry about added complexity and engine life) But, none of them are simple or cheap.

People still look for the holly grail of a simple and cheap mod that will give a

40% increase in HP. I'm glad they do, cause who knows they may find it. But until that day I'm keeping my money for that front locker I've been wanting.

Dean

Reply to
Dean

Wow, that link was the kind of information I was looking for... someone who did a test on that sort of thing like filtration and all.

Well I already have lsd's and gearing done, so I guess I'm good then. Maybe steeper gearing later on in the future, I have 33x12.50's with 4.10 gears. I read about alot of people who ride with 4.56's and that tire size, but I haven't ridden in a jeep with that setup yet, so I don't know how the top end speed is...

How many rpms are you at when going 70mph in 5th gear with 4.56 and 33's? (6cyl TJ)

Troy

Reply to
Troy

It's somewhere around 2700 rpms at 70 mph, nowhere near excessive. I'm running 4.88 with 35" tires which produces very similar rpms to 33" tires and 4.56 and it's the perfect combination in my opnion. I would not want any lower rpms since my 5th gear is very useable on the highway, not what it would be with a higher ratio that would lower the rpms too much. When I ran 33" tires with 4.10, it sucked, I was always having to downshift due to lack of power. That's why I skipped over

4.56 and went to 4.88 when I upgraded to 35" tires.

Jerry

Troy wrote:

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I too have a K&N in the stock air box that I've had doubts about. Anyone have any first hand info on using ACDelco air or oil filters on TJ's? Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

I pulled mine out when I found a thin film of dust on the inside surface of the intake tube between the airbox and the throttle body.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Thanks, good enough for me. It came with the vehicle but was always suspect. Joe Carroll

2K-TJ

There are some simple truths...And the dogs know what they are." Joseph Duemer

Reply to
Joe Carroll

I have kandn that fits in the airbox. its on the shelf in the garage, its junk. Paper works better. KH

Reply to
Kevin in San Diego

That's all I use on my '02TJ. AC Delco air and oil filters.

Tom

Reply to
mabar

Reply to