Does GM 3.73 gears fit a 1993 jeep yj?

I have a 1993 Jeep Yj with a 3.5 inch BDS lift, BF Goodrich

35x12.50x15 mudders. i need to get this into 5th gear on the highway so my qustion is does GM/ford 3.73 gears fit in 1993 jeep yj??
Reply to
chuck_is_the_god

Why do you think you need 5th?

I had to give up on my 5th gear when I went 33's with my 3.31 gears. I can use it, but it lugs at 1700 at 65 and then I drink gas. If I keep it in 4th which gives me a nice 2300 or so at 65 mph, I get 23 mpg.

Mike

Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

This is so bizzare but coming from Mike it is no surprize. He projects himself as the macho 4 wheeler Jeep expert,runs bigger tires with tall gears and says solution is to forget 5th gear and then Bill agrees that is less strain that way without even thinking about the extra strain that big tires with stock gears add to complete drive train in EVERY gear. You guys gave me a good morning chuckle! Also this logic of yours reduces power or wheel torque that you can get to the ground which shows you are 4 wheelers in ego not in practice. Getting back to orginal post, Chevy gears will not fit a Jeep and even so a 3.73 will not solve problem in OD with 35's nor would 4.10 most likley. A 4.56 would though. There is a mind set with some that a 3.73 or 4.10 is a great overall gear but the proper gear ratio depends on the tire size, vehicle and engine no one gear does all though some think they do. A

3.31 is a very poor gear choice for any off roading with stock or especailly larger than stock tires. Anyone that really knows their stuff would know this and fix it with proper gearing unless their ego is bigger than their understanding of all it how works. Proper gearing would give you more performance in all gears, require less usage of low range, reduce driveline strain and likely improve MPG too because engine will lug less but there are those that think the lower the RPM the better the MPG and lower the overall strain. If you vehicle requires 60 HP to cruise, it has to have 60 HP regardless of RPM which means with tall gears it has to work even harder at a lower rpm to cruise when you install bigger tires plus bigger tires add more drag for rolling resistance and extra drag from taller vehicle which means that you reall need to do more than just match effective gear ratio (old ratio and tires vs new ratio and tires) if you want it to perform well. You might look at the following charts. This first one shows the effect of axle ratio on wheel traction

This next one show the loss of effective pulling power or wheel torque at contact surface as tire size increase without a gear ratio change

This last one is a tire size and axle ratio calculator that lets you compute you engine RPM in drive or any gear that you know the ratio for.

There are two basic groups of 4 wheelers, one group that thinks they know what they are doing (Mikes Group) and give up gears on trannies and run low range a lot and reduce over all performance and traction of road because they think axle ratio gearing does not matter. And when tranny or clutch fails or drishaft breaks or Tcase goes south they blame it on poor design not improper application by them. Then there is the other group (not one Mike suscribes too) that fully understands the big picture how important proper gearing is and takes the time and expense to regear vehicles properly (rather than hoping for air intakes and exhaust modes to "fix" problem) and then they do not have tranny, drive shaft or Tcase failures or power loss and they also get to use all of the gears too as well as have a vehicle that preforms better too on and off road.

TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

Sno Ball,

Mike and Bill have been here a LOT longer than you and have both forgotten more that you will ever know. Let's not forget you discovered this group while Usenet-stalking Mike, because he called you on your bullshit in another group. Over in alt.trucks.ford you are almost universally disdained for the idiotic advice you provide.

If you can, provide advice without the crap. Until you do, consider yourself plonked.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Is your object to install lower gears than you currently have? You didn't say what combination you are starting out with. With 35s, 3.73s are not low enough for ideal offroad driving. You will want 4.56s. You also did not state what differentials you are running. This may limit your gearing choices. Buy the gears specific to those differentials.

tw

Reply to
twaldron

Sticking to the math:

If you started off with 3.07 and 28 inches is the stock tire size:

3.07*35/28 = 3.84. It is recommended to go one gearset numerically higher, 4.10.

If you started off with 3.73 and 28 inch tires: 3.73*35/28 = 4.66. Next numerically higher, 4.88, this is as low as you can go with stock axles.

Reply to
nrs

You know weather you have been here 6 month or 6 years does not make bad advise good and I guess you are in the pond with them too. There is a right way and wrong way to do things and you guys pick the wrong way. Your BS dopes not defy the logic or physics involved here and even if they are still here after 20 years they are still wrong and you too. Truth is not based on how long you have been selling your BS but rather the facts o9f the matter but fact and physics ellude you guys so of course you back the looser. ALso as far as being here to attack Mike, it is not personal and I did not fire the first volley. It is the crap he spreads that I attack and will continue to do so when he does it. If he makes factly posts I will not attack him but when he sets himself up as a expert (when he is not) he should expect the flack.He has a serious ego problem as shown in his sig. You know I have OWNED 11 4x4's in close to 40 years and currently own 3. Most of them were bought new too and I even have a 28 year old jeep truck (I have owned it for 22 years now) that still runs and it is 100% stock with no engine, tranny or Tcase failures) and it pushed snow hard for many years too which is harder on a vehicle than off roading because of drive train loading. If I had used Mike logic on mods and operational practices it would have died long ago. Some of you guys do not want real answers, you just want BS answers to make your ego feel ok.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

It's really a matter of what works for your driving/wheeling style. I'm not sure why Mike's setup works either (3.31s and 33" pizza cutters) but I don't run on the terrain he encounters either. Obviously it does work for him. My setup, 35x12.50s/4.10/auto/4:1, works for me on the roads/trails I run on, so I'm fine without a re-gear. Next set of tires may be 33s. We'll see. Someone else may find my setup completely unusable. There are guidelines, but it's also somewhat subjective.

tw

SnoMan wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

It must be nice to have more money than brains. I have a rich brain dead stalker it would seem.

I prefer to use brains rather than toss money at a non issue.

I have low range in my Jeep. I almost 'never' need 1st low so I obviously don't need lower gears.

I can rev my 258 to 4400 rpm if needed which gives me 52 mph in 2nd, 3rd pulls hard to 75 mph, 4th will quickly bury the speedometer and I have 'no' urge to find out how fast 5th will go.

I also get a sweet 23 mpg on the highway by 'not' using overdrive or 5th gear and have been doing so for over Ten years without damaging my Jeep.

So, once again, go screw yourself and your total bullshit.

If you 'really' want to play, I am unemployed and have nothing better to do with my time than to take on and out an internet stalker.

Mike

Mike Romain

Yep, you're just using your 4low more often than guys with 33s/4.10s. No biggie. If it works, it works! I do that as well and that's how I get away with my setup.

tw

Mike Roma> It must be nice to have more money than brains. I have a rich brain

Reply to
twaldron

I wheel with lots of folks from this group that have 'proper' ratios and when we come out of the bush I always need way less gas than them to top the tank back up too for some strange reason...

I normally run trails in 3rd low.

Mike

twaldr> Yep, you're just using your 4low more often than guys with 33s/4.10s. No

Reply to
Mike Romain

Bill and Mike are right. Sos sabelotodo hijo de puta.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

This is kind of like a master diver who uses half the air while on a dive. Takes practice!

Reply to
nrs

I can tell you don't even know what direct is when talking about transmissions. God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

We buys ya books and send you to Spain and this all we get? ;-) God Bless America, Bill O|||||||O mailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Well, that and a penicillin shot.

tw

L.W. (Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
twaldron

Que le den en la puta madre.

Saludos cordiales,

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

It would be more impressive if you had owned just one in that time !

Dave Milne, Scotland

Reply to
Dave Milne