Drive jeep without muffler

Ok, I have the R&R guy just about done with my engine install and I need to get the pipe work done to connect to my new 4.0L exhaust manifold.

Can I drive it without the muffler for a short distance (about 2 miles) or would this damage the engine in any way?

Thanks,

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

L.W.(ßill)

What, they won't give me a break? :-)

Bill

Reply to
William Oliveri

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

I would worry less about the engine and more about your life. My brother tried that despite my best efforts at persuading him not to. He didn't make it far before the exhaust melted a hole through the top of his TJ's fuel tank; his first clue that something was amiss was fumes in the cockpit. He stopped and had to be towed home. He's lucky he didn't burn himself to death.

All because the parts place gave him the wrong "universal fit" muffler and he just didn't have time to get another and fix it. So in addition to needing a muffler, he had to wait until he could procure another tank and get it installed.

And no, he still doesn't listen to me.

---------------------------------------------------- Del Rawlins- del@_kills_spammers_rawlinsbrothers.org Remove _kills_spammers_ to reply via email. Unofficial Bearhawk FAQ website:

Del Rawlins

Ahhhh, unless you are like me and live in a state where they don't care if you run open headers! ;)

I must say sometimes I love living in the state of Arkansas. Now if only I can get ahold of me a decent Jeep, got the bug baaaaaaad.

Jason

Reply to
Jason Kavanaugh

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

It shouldn't hurt anything. It will be very loud, and the cop in the next lane might want to talk about it. He should be cool though when you show him the new parts in the back seat. I made the same trip as you are asking about, the cops were not in the next lane at any part of the trip.

You would be better off towing it, even with a rope/chain/strap. But driving it the short distance shouldn't be a problem. I would drive it if faced with the same delimna.

Reply to
CRWLR

We're in California, they care about this sort of thing around here. I live in the fantasy world where I can show a pile of parts that are due to be installed as soon as I get to the place I am going, and this will avoid the ticket. And, if it does not avoid the ticket, then the receipt showing the parts are now installed should help me avoid the fine. Generally, this sort of thing is a fix-it-ticket, and there is no fine if the correction is made within a few days.

Reply to
CRWLR

Wish they would enforce that here. They have started enforcing glass that is so tinted you can't see where you are going though.

little rice burners and the

Reply to
Dave Milne

Reply to
Ichabod Shagnasti

As of yesterday, in Greenbrier, AR., at the used car lot that's next to the new Auto Zone, they have a good looking Wrangler YJ. It's supposed to have a new motor and it's got new looking white spoke wheels and tires. Might be a good rig to look at.

By-the-by, I live in Mountain View, AR and work in Conway. When you do get your Jeep, let me know, because my son's and I have found some pretty neat places to try them out.

-- Old Crow '82 Shovelhead FLT 92" 'Pearl' '95 Jeep YJ Rio Grande ASE Certified Master Auto Tech + L1 TOMKAT, BS#133, SENS, MAMBM, DOF#51

Reply to
Old Crow

LOL! That is pretty low for an old boad-anchor. :-)

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
twaldron