Driveshaft 1992 Cherokee Question

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee 4x4. The rear universal joint broke and I removed the driveshaft. Can I put it in 4 wheel drive and drive it about 2 miles?

Thanks Mark

Reply to
MWB

Yes, but....

If the driveshaft pulled out of the t-case and any fluid is present, you need to cap the end or the oil will come out.

I think Jerry B said once that a WD40 can cap fits over it and a hose clamp holds it on. A half a pop can I think I have heard fits also.

If you have a vacuum lock on the front axle, you also might have to rock the Jeep back and forth to get the splines to lock for front wheel drive.

Mike

MWB wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

You could if you had one of these installed:

Earle

MWB wrote:

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.(ßill)

Well, some t-cases leak I think.

Either that or I have seen some messed up oil seals where the dust seal is holding the oil....

My statement stands.

If you see oil when you pull it out, cap it.

Mike

"L.W.(ßill) Hughes III" wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Matt Macchiarolo

Matt Macchiarolo

If it's anything like my '93 XJ, it probably will lose fluid because the tailshaft seal surrounds the slipyoke.

  • * * Matt Macchiarolo
Matt Macchiarolo

My 88 is like that too.

Mike