Maintenance free batteries: disadvantages?

Do maintenance free batteries still corrode their terminals/connectors? Are there any disadvantages to maintenance free batteries? I'm thinking the next battery I'll get for my Jeep will be maintenance free.

Wblane

To me, only a sealed battery like an Optima or Exide Orbital is truly "maintenance free". Those others that look like they are sealed on top that are called maintenance free don't do that as well as they'd like you to believe.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

I'll second that, but they will also corrode at the terminals, if someone breaks the seal around them. This is usually caused by hammering terminals on, or twisting them off with pliers, rather than using a terminal Spreader and puller, Items 2 and 3-5 here.

slamming it around with no hold-downs.Be good to your new battery, and it will be ok.

Reply to
Paul Calman

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

They still lose water like the older ones, just slower.

On a Jeep that has heavy battery use they will fail faster than one you can top up easily.

That said, most of them can have the top opened so they can be topped up with distilled water which will vastly extend their life.

I knew a company that sold used batteries to all the car lots. They collected 'dead' maintenance free batteries, opened them, topped them up with water, deep charged them and sold them with a 1 year warranty.

I talked to the owner and he stated he almost never has a warranty claim and if it happens it is right away because the battery really was a dead one.

They do not make much if any difference with terminal corrosion because they still do outgass.

Same goes for the spiral cell lead acid batteries like Optima. Optima has a slower terminal corrosion rate, but it still corrodes them to the point of a failed connection on both of my Jeeps after a couple years.

Mike

Wblane wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I have never understood why aftermarket car batteries don't have sealed lids (screw-in service plugs) and vent hoses, like motorcycle and aircraft batteries. The oem battery on my ex-Saab 9-5 had one. The oem battery on my wife's Audi has one.

I have _never_ seen a vented aftermarket battery. No way can sulfuric acid venting from an unsealed batter be considered good for your vehicle.

Rant over.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

Jerry Bransford proclaimed:

On a ZJ, would I have to worry about resetting remote keys or anything if I were to install myself? Looks like the local 4Wheel Parts has the Optima Red...bummer they closed the store in Santa Clara and the only one still open is way the heck in downtown traffic.

Reply to
Lon

Merely replacing a battery won't (usually at least) cause any problems with things like that.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Bransford

Bill, I've tried those. That's what I've got over the terminals now and the corrosion is a thick and fluffy layer now! I've heard of using vaseline to on battery terminals, but where do you put it? Does it go over the terminal before you put on the clamp? Or over the whole surface after you put on the clamp? Does vaseline work or is it just BS?

Wblane

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

All the vaseline does is prevent oxygen from getting at the terminals and causing that nasty whitish oxidation!. The clamps go tight enough around the posts that putting the vaseline on before won't matter, as it'll just get squished outta the way!

Vaseline is the cheap solution....you can buy anti-oxidation stuff from electrical suppliers. Novalox is something I used to use on ground rod connections.

Some of these products have metals embedded in them. This allows conduction but still keeps oxygen out. You don't want one of these ones....don't want it going from your + terminal to the chassis (essentially the - terminal).

sb

Reply to
SteveBrady

Ue a liquid that will penetrate everywhere after installing the cables onto the terminals. I have used Boeshield T9 for many years and I never have even the slightest trace of terminal corrosion. The disadvantage is that it is greasy and you should clean it off to bare metal with lacquer thinner before reattaching a cable. Then reapply.

John

John Davies TLCA 14732

'96 Lexus LX450 '00 Audi A4 1.8T quattro Spokane WA USA

Reply to
John Davies

I've seen a combination of poorly tightened connectors and vaseline cause a zero start syndrome. If the connector is loose enough to let the vaseline melt down into the tiniest gaps, you can lose enough conduct area to cause problems.

I used to use a very high temp military dow silicon grease, but was a pita to deal with. Nowadays just use the corrosion washers and a shot of ordinary old clear paint--cheaper than that special battery paint.

Wblane proclaimed:

Reply to
Lon

replying to Wblane, Jane wrote: I've been using maintenance free, sealed batteries since they first came out a couple of decades ago. Would never go back to the old ones. They have the same life and are much less hassle. There's never a problem of accidentally getting battery acid on your clothes with sealed car batteries. Ruined a brand new pair of 501 Levi jeans when battery acid got on them when refilling old battery.

Reply to
Jane