Where to mount an auxillary battery.

The guy that gave me the winch (the EX Mr. Kate) said it drew allot of amps when he used it. So I got to thinking that an auxillary battery would be a good idea. The question is, where to mount it. My preference would be under the hood but as you well know there isn't much room under there.

Ideas? I'd prefer not to put it in the back of the interior if at all possible.

Reply to
Kate

Another idea would be to rig a hand throttle so when you use the winch you keep the engine running fast enough to keep the battery charged.

Reply to
XS11E

Matt Macchiarolo

I second that motion!

Just remember not to put the winch on the side terminals of a battery. Folks have melted a lot of Optima's doing that.

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

The alternator cannot begin to keep up with the demand of a serious electric winch. Dual batteries is far more viable plus it works even with engine is dead.

----------------- TheSnoMan.com

Reply to
SnoMan

I use a hand throttle to keep my rpm up so the alternator is putting out good and have never had issues. Even on a three weekend long cleanup of an off road area where I was responsible for winching all the wrecks up onto the trail so the bigger rigs could drag them out.

I use an old fashioned manual choke cable as my hand throttle, you can get them cheap.

I believe you also can get dual battery trays for a TJ can't you?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
Mike Romain

Yes You can get duel batter trays for the TJ and the YJ. Here are a few links to give you a idea what you can do.

YJ

TJ

99 wrangler 31 inch good year mtr tires warn M8000 winch 2.5 lift skyjacker shocks a lot of lights (winch,hood,bumper, wind shield) Even more toys to come

Some people have an addiction to drink... Some people have an addiction to drugs.... I just have an addiction to Jeeps and their accessories....

Here are a few pictures of my rig

Jamie Mello

I don't want to sound like a grammar Nazi, but "allot" is not used correctly in your post. You should use "a lot" in this case. :)

Chris

Another idea would be to rig a hand throttle so when you use the winch you keep the engine running fast enough to keep the battery charged.

Reply to
Kate

Just remember not to put the winch on the side terminals of a battery. Folks have melted a lot of Optima's doing that.

-jenn

Boy oh boy, it's a good thing you told me that. I had planned on connecting it to the side terminals. Thanks Jenn!

Kate

Reply to
Kate

I don't want to sound like a grammar Nazi, but "allot" is not used correctly in your post. You should use "a lot" in this case. :)

Chris

No problem, I'm never too old to learn. ;¬) Kate

Reply to
Kate

Kate - Kilby's setup is the one I have in the MudBall.

RE hand throttle too....

-jenn

Reply to
jbjeep

I use a hand throttle to keep my rpm up so the alternator is putting out good and have never had issues. Even on a three weekend long cleanup of an off road area where I was responsible for winching all the wrecks up onto the trail so the bigger rigs could drag them out.

I use an old fashioned manual choke cable as my hand throttle, you can get them cheap.

I believe you also can get dual battery trays for a TJ can't you?

Mike

86/00 CJ7 Laredo, 33x9.5 BFG Muds, 'glass nose to tail in '00 88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's - Gone to the rust pile... Canadian Off Road Trips Photos: Non members can still view! Jan/06
(More Off Road album links at bottom of the view page) Thanks Mike, .. Above there is a link to a dual battery tray. they $ure are proud of them but what the heck.

I like the choke idea too. It could integrate right into the dash without looking like an add on.

I'm planning additional lights too. I thought that the dual battery thing might ba a good idea. It wouldn't cost THAT much and would be good backup.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

NW Wrangler also makes a dual battery tray for whatever their batteries are. Dont have the link handy, but NW Wrangler is a Portland OR company. I have their isolator kit on my dual battery set up.

Reply to
jbjeep

For a trick setup, you might want to cut off the normal battery connections on the battery wires and put on some big honkin round hole connectors, then get some marine-style battery terminals, that the cables attach to with a wing nut. It makes it easy to disconnect your battery without tools, and attaching the winch power leads are a snap.

Reply to
Matt Macchiarolo

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

Real Jeeps come stock with a hand throttle to operate their Power Take Off winch:

God Bless America, Bill O|||||||Omailto: snipped-for-privacy@aol.com

Reply to
L.W. (Bill) Hughes III

RE hand throttle too....

-jenn

Thanks Jenn... It looks like a good unit to me.

Kate

Reply to
Kate

Good idea Matt... I'll throw it at the hubster.

Kate

Reply to
Kate