Dynomax disaster

Ok, maybe it wasn't a disaster, but it is frustrating no less. I get my new Dynomax "super turbo" (how the heck can a muffler be "super" anything, let alone "turbo".. sheesh.. marketing.. ANYHOW) and proceed to rip out my old stock exhaust. At this point I'm realizing what a pain this really is as I have nothing to cut the tail pipe with. I end up disconnecting the rear shock to get it out of the way and get the axle to droop further. Lots of pushing, pulling, banging, destroying of stock hangers, and cussing later I get it out. Here's where it gets interesting.

I SPECIFICALLY asked the sales guy at Quadratec whether or not this setup was compatible with a trailer hitch. I know that Borla and a few other companies specify their models are not. He insisted that was not the case with the Dynomax setup I was buying. So, I lay the new tail pipe next to the stock setup and it looks like the tip flairs out a bit. Almost angled out at a 45 degree angle exiting from the back (I see that setup on pickups all the time around San Antonio). At this point I've mangled the stock system so much I couldn't put it back in if I wanted to. That and I was hoping my eyeballing of the tailpipe was off. Well, it wasn't. The pipe would not go in with the hitch receiver in place. I had to take it off.

What do I do now? I called Quadratec, but management won't be in until Monday. The only solutions I can come up with are (and both involve exhaust shops doing the work):

  1. Cut the tip off completely (and a lot of pipe). Would have to go back to just behind the rear axle since I'd lose the rear-most hanger.

  1. Have the pipe bent so it would fit. It would have to be bent about 15 -

20 degrees or so, and the tip would still have to be trimmed.

I'm frustrated because I need that hitch and told them that. They ensured me it would fit and it doesn't. What is their responsibility in this? Any thoughts? I will be getting a new rear bumper/tire carrier in the next few months and I'm sure it'll have a built in receiver, but I don't want to count on that purchase right now. Thanks guys!

Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

I gave up doing exhaust work years ago. LOL! I take it to the 'pro's and let them do the cussing.

You need the right tail pipe.

You can just put the muffler on now and hang it with a coat hanger or something until the tail pipe comes in.

Watch where it is pointing though. The exhaust will burn stuff if blasting on it.

Your tail pipe has to exit the rear of the vehicle. of not, the tire will grab the gasses and vortex them into the cab.

Mike

Eric wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

I have the tail pipe, and it's on. I took the hitch off for now, but will need it again soon...

Reply to
Eric

Ditch the hitch and get a bumper with integral receiver. You shouldn't be hauling anything heavier than what the bumper receiver can handle anyway...

Reply to
Fred W.

That's the plan, but $$$ is the problem. Have to wait a while for that. I'm going to get a bumper/tire carrier combo since I'll be going to 33's eventually...

Eric

Reply to
Eric