Early CJ frame boxed?

I stopped to look at the remains of what the owner thought to be a CJ2A with a flat-head four in place. I noticed that the frame sections visable through where the rear floor used to be were factory boxed with

3" or so round cutouts along the inner box side, and these looked factory, not like some kid with a welder and a hole saw made them. The windshield frame wasn't attached and might not go with the vehicle, but it is the CJ3A style with the center vent panel.

Did either CJ2s or CJ3s have boxed rear frame rails?

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Thanks for the links.

The part of the frame that I could see that was boxed was the section from the rear cross member forward to where the diagonal hitch brace meets the frame over the wheel arch, I couldn't see the rest of the frame. The owner was of the opinion that this marked the frame as a military version. Does that last sound right to you?

L.W.(Bill) Hughes III wrote:

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Ah. Found a picture of what I was wondering about:

You can see what I was looking at just to the left of the steering column in the picture. And here, all along the rear wheel arch.

Photos from this eBay listing. I've nothing to do with his auction, the URL is included so others can retrace my steps.

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Reply to