Edelbrock performer manifold/carb/cam kit

Bill,

The check valve will not hinder performance. It is basically a little ball bearing that you put into the vacuum signal channel for the power valve. You first counterbore the hole with a drill bit that they supply in the kit. Then you set the baseplate on a flat surface and tap the bottom of the counterbore with a Phillips screwdriver and a hammer. The "X" pattern in the bottom of the counterbore will allow the vacuum signal to pass around the ball when the manifold vacuum is trying to pull the ball down. In the event of a backfire, the ball will push up against the gasket and small hole in the main body of the carb and seal the power valve from the backfire pressure. Also another note, the new generation of power valves are made with a different diaphragm material which is more resistant to backfires. The check valve kit works, and in fact, all new Holley carbs have this implemented into them, and have for 3 or 4 years.

A note on the gaskets, if you use non-Holley gaskets, you're asking for trouble. If you buy a kit and they gaskets are made of cork type paper, they won't work long. The Holley kits now have a reusable blue gasket for the metering block and float bowls. They don't stick to the carb like the old brown and black gaskets do. They are also much more resistant to any shrinking or swelling.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Yup, those are the new non stick gaskets I was mentioning.

Here is the power valve saver kit that they now sell:

Holley has a kit as well.

Like I said earlier, you can do this yourself with a little ball bearing (1/4" IIRC), a drill bit 1/32" bigger than the ball, and a Phillips screwdriver and hammer.

If you follow the vacuum port signal from the well behind the power valve in the main body, it will eventually come out the bottom of the main body and pass through the throttle base plate.. Drill the hole in the baseplate deep enough to let the ball sit below the gasket surface of the baseplate. It only needs to be about 1/16" below the surface. Then take a Phillips screwdriver that fits in the hole and give it a good tap with a hammer to make 4 grooves in the face left by the point of the drill. This will allow the vacuum signal to operate the power valve properly. If the carb backfires, the ball will seat up against the main body of the carb and prevent the pressure from getting to the diaphragm. I have a carb here that needs to have this done, so in the near future I will try to put together a website showing the procedure. It id real easy to do. Even the kit is a deal at about $10 because a replacement power valve is usually $6-8 in the stores, and then you have the hassles of changing the damn thing.

Chris

L.W.(ßill)

Thanks guys.

The Holley Rebuild Kit show in Bill's picture is already applied, and IIRC I have a power valve saver already installed, but I will check. I just moved, so fixing the Jeep is lower on my priority list. Getting a good internet connection up and running again is more important, posting by Google doesn't do it for me ;-)

Thom.

Reply to
Thom