engine id numbers

anyone here have a website i can look up engine casting #'s to find out what the motor i just got with my cj rolling chassis is? thought it to be 258 and that is what i was told but i am having my doubts now that it is home. any help greatly appreciated thanks

Reply to
marvin martian

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

thanks bill that one doesnt help much thereis no numbers on the passenger side i found numbers on drivers side but i cant find a website where i can punch in #'s to find out what motor this is. would you happen to know of a website that icould do this?

Reply to
marvin martian

The 258 or 232 ID numbers are stamped on a flat area on the block just below #2 spark plug.

If you have no flat area there, you do not have either engine.

Mike

marv>

Reply to
Mike Romain

It took me a while, but I think I've found what you are looking for:

The above URL has a listing covering AMC _head_ casting numbers from

1966 to 1979 (you didn't say what year you thought you had). This list won't help you sort out a block with a 232 crank from a block with a 258 crank, but it could help you narrow down the year or ID an engine cobbled up from multi-year parts.

The above URL is probably what you are looking: It gives block casting numbers, head casting numbers and crank casting numbers for a variety of AMC engines from 1970 to 1993, ranging from the 151ci/2.5L to the 401ci.

This last won't help you because it only covers AMC V8s from 1957 to

1984, but I'm including it here against the chance that someone will find it useful.

As Bill and Mike said, the best way to ID the engine is to look for the machined pad on the passenger (right) side of the block and decode the "Engine Day Build Code". On the other hand, depending on what sort of life the engine lead there might be nothing left there to read -- AMC didn't strike those stamps very deep on some engines.

If you can find a VIN stamped on the right front part of the frame (as described in the above URL) you should be able to decode what engine the frame originally came with. Good luck with that, though, as I've never been able to find one on an older CJ.

Let us know what you find.

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

Hey, didn't someone post a while back that some of the aftermarket blocks have no numbers on them on that machined pad. Maybe it was about Jasper engines?

Mike

Lee Ayrt>

Reply to
Mike Romain

I found a couple of mentions while I was searching for the below that some factory warranty replacement blocks had no numbers, but I think that those were more in relation to cars instead of Jeeps. I guess it might make sense if AMC only used to day build codes to account for engines going to the vehicle assembly plant -- the code isn't a serial number, after all, and had no relation to VINs except displacement.

Mike Roma> Hey, didn't someone post a while back that some of the aftermarket

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

couldnt get exact year but did find out it was a 258 thanks for the help guys

Reply to
marvin martian

Yer welcome. What year were you hoping for? There were model-year changes to emission controls and manifolds, and changes in the valve cover helps mark a few years as well, so if you give us a ball-park on the year someone here might be able to match it to the engine they have.

Oh, and the engine plant ran on a calendar year schedule, while the vehicle plant ran on a model-year schedule. This means that the engine put in by the factory might not have the same year ID as the frame.

marv> couldnt get exact year but did find out it was a 258 thanks for the help > guys

Reply to
Lee Ayrton

wasnt hoping for a specific year but i did some more checking and found it t be an 82. someone ground off id numbers on passenger side but i found a set on drivers side that local engine shop deciphered for me. thanks again

Reply to
marvin martian