engine rebuild

Is there any way to TELL that an engine has been rebuilt?

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Pull the oil pan and visually check the cylinder bores. While there, pull a couple bearing caps and plasti-gauge them. Run a compression Check. Lift the valve cover and look for sludge. Check the valve guides and seals for play/rot. Pull the thermostat and have a peek in the water jacket. If you are real determined, pull the head and measure cylinder bores.

Reply to
Jeff Lowe

Not really unless they changed major parts like the crank and the new one has different specs that the one made for the engine.

The engine has codes on it on the oil boss by the filter if a 6 and these tell over and under sizes on the bearings and crank. If you open the bottom and take off one bearing cap, the bearing inside will be marked with the same over or under size as the oil boss if the engine is still stock 'maybe'. 'Usually' a rebuilt crank will be a different size than the stock one.

I have seen a lot of scams where the only thing 'rebuilt' was the gaskets and paint job and maybe some rings to get the compression back up or maybe some stock sized bearings put in to raise the oil pressure to look good.

'Rebuilt' 'can' just mean only one piston ring was changed because nothing else was 'broken' so it is a loaded term. This is fully legit.

'Remanufactured' is supposed to mean all new moving parts.

Mike

Pi-eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

OK, thanks for that. My 258 has 290+KM on it, runs strong, burns no oil doesn't smoke. I just dont know if it's original or not.

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

Reply to
Pi-eyed Piper

Hi, I have a 96 GC 279,800 Km , Not burning or leaking oil... I6 are reliable and will last for ever if maintain proprelly

I was not sure if mine had been redone but been reading here on the Ng that many people have in the 300,000 and still as new....

Patrick

"Pi-eyed Piper" a écrit dans le message de news:

7ktTd.3105$ab2.1775@edtnps89...
Reply to
Patrick
376,864 km's abused the last 170,000 plus that Ive owned it, oil changes every 3000-5400 km's.

Snow...

Reply to
Snow