Fender question

Hey all. My left fender's headlight socket is rusted out so will need to be replaced. I guess I could fiberglass the socket, if push comes to shove but would like to know what my options are.

I heard that, unless one get an original fender, it is best to buy them in pairs (left and right) so that the bug doesn't look lopsided. Is that true? Is there variability in fenders? Or are the newer fenders idential to original, looking at the car at seven paces?

I came across some flared fiberglass fenders, unused and undrilled. Are there disadvantages to fiberglass fenders? Is it just a matter of drilling the mounting and headlight holes or is there more to these things? I am not looking to keep the car totally stock so don't mind the fiberglass, but how do these flared fenders look on a bug? Does it start looking like ass with them on? Just have a hard time envisioning it - does anyone have a picture of a bug with flared fenders somewhere?

TIA Remco

Reply to
Remco

Hi Remco

My 1st bug - 69 - I bought with one side Fr and Rr wings (fenders) missing. I ordered 2 for the correct year and never gave it a second thoght. They were cheap repro's and I -or anyone else ever noticed a difference !

As for the flared fiberglass ones - imho - they look good with wider wheels and tyres and other trim to match. Can be as subtle or outrageous as you like. That's the thing about bugs - it's all been done, so its personal taste. As for others - some will like it others will hate it - who cares ! :-)

I will try to find some pics for you.

Try Samba etc or photo galleries for VW shows ...

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Hey Rich. Thanks - that's good to know.

True. I am not quite sold on the idea myself yet, though :) Besides stock, I do like the cal look, lowered a little with fatter tires so maybe this is not a bad thing, huh?

Appreciate that -- good idea.

It is not like I'll need the fenders soon, but will need them eventually. Just want to know what my options are so, once I come across a good deal, I can snap them up.

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
Remco

"Remco" schreef in bericht news: snipped-for-privacy@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...

Hi Remco,

By socked you mean the space in the fender where the headlight goes in? There are replacements for only just that. They looks more or less like a helmet. I don't know how rare they are in the states, i saw them here several times on swap-meets. IF they are not rare it might be a cheap solution to weld one in.

A friend of mine has two front fiberglass fenders because the steel ones kept tearing, he drove the bug many times 90/100Mph on the highway so the wind ánd vibration was too much for the steel ones to stay in one piece. Looked pretty stock too. having said all this, i think it is easier (i think) to get stuff for an ACVW here than in the states, so it could be difficult to find 'stock' looking fenders.

Good luck on your search,

Roger

Reply to
bug '59

Hey Roger

If you don't mind me asking - where is 'here' - for you ? As it's not in the states I am in the UK

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Hey - wat dacht je me wat?? :)

Thanks! I did not know there were replacement panels for that as well. I'll look around so see what's out there. I'd much rather weld than fiberglass a bowl.

That's good to know: I found one bug with flared fenders and it actually looks pretty good. You guys gave me some options to think about...

Thanks! Remco

Reply to
Remco

I believe it where you get the crackingly good strong beer from over the channel.....

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

good site, have a look in the gallery link.

Also a good article on a 46MPG engine !

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Don't mind at all...

James is right, asuming he doesn't refer to Belgium... :-] I'm in the Netherlands, where Remco lived once too...

I don't believe ACVW-stuff is hard to get in the UK either, is it?

Greatings Roger

Reply to
bug '59

We can get German Brazilian and repro stuff for just about anything. Or old rust free stuff imported from sunny Cal !

That about covers it all :-)

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Wicked cool! I didn't have that one yet - thanks!

Reply to
Remco

Love the 'Rust In peace' bit. My favourite is the hairy splitty ! Some of those are considered restorable, over here...

James

Reply to
Juper Wort

I guess that's because we have some areas where the climate is bug friendly. We will eventually run out of that supply, I'd imagine.

Remco

Reply to
Remco

Saw this and thought of you !

Rich

Reply to
Tricky

Wow! Those are the mothers of all fenders!!

Reply to
Remco