Flushing the cooling system?

Can I use one of those backflushing kits with my 93 Cherokee 4.0? Will that valve (I think I read it was a valve) that the heater hoses connect to interfere with flushing this way?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pat Blank

Pat Blank wrote in news:Xns951CE800C93Fuseemailinsig@206.141.193.32:

Here's a link to a picture of the valve.

Pat Blank

Interesting. A heater core bypass valve. Haven't seen those in a looooong time. All it does is bypass the flow to your heater core when the heat isn't on.

It would keep the flush from going throug your heater core unless you had the heat turned on. If all your after is the radiator and block it won't bother anything. IF you want to flush the heater core too, just turn the heat on.

Reply to
DougW

That valve defaults in the open position with no vacuum applied in my

  1. Don't forget the block drain, it is under the exhaust near the rear of the block.

Mike

Pat Blank wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

"DougW" wrote in news:wmUFc.35623$Lh.19214@okepread01:

Thanks Doug. I want to flush everything.

Reply to
Pat Blank

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

Do I have to open that drain even with using the backflush kit?

Reply to
Pat Blank

If you only want to clean the rads out, then no. If you want to clean the whole works out, then yes.

Mike

Mike Romain

"DougW" wrote in news:wmUFc.35623$Lh.19214@okepread01:

Alright. While attempting to get the top heater hose off the valve, the hose fitting snapped like a twig. So I had to remove the valve and run both heater hoses to the firewall. Will this be a problem? I also plugged the vacuum line going to the valve, is that the proper thing to do?

Please forgive me for being a PITA. :/

Reply to
Pat Blank

Pat Blank did pass the time by typing:

Nope. Not near as much as having that snap while you were on the road.

Yep. Otherwise you will have a vac leak and that can cause all sort of wonky things.

Ok. :)

..seriously.. It's failure to ask questions that is bad. :)

Reply to
DougW

"DougW" wrote in news:XA0Gc.35967$Lh.24861@okepread01:

Might I also assume that the inside of the Jeep will get a bit warm without the valve in there? If that is the case I'm thinking of just looping the hose from the thermostat around to the water pump until I can replace the valve. What do you think of that idea?

Thanks.

Reply to
Pat Blank

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Pat Blank did pass the time by typing:

It could get a bit warm.

One of my coworkers build a similar system out of two brass valves for his old pickup.

===========================>

Reply to
DougW

Can't you get a ticket for flushing radiator coolant into the street now?

Wblane

Reply to
L.W.(ßill) Hughes III

Too bad you missed my post about the valve defaulting 'open' with no vacuum...

Those valves are brittle. A friend snapped his while changing plugs.

I used a deep 1/2 socket to put the two hose ends together to get him by until he got a new valve.

Mike

Mike Romain

Mike Romain wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca:

I read your post Mike, but I had to change my heater hoses, so there was no way to get around messing with the valve. I wish I would have just cut the damn hoses off. Live and learn and learn and learn...

Reply to
Pat Blank

The one I saw was basically rotten, it just crumbled.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Romain

Been there, broke that. $15 for XJ at Advanced Auto. Plastic.

Reply to
flannery

"flannery" wrote in news:g1BGc.18150$JR4.14500@attbi_s54:

Well, looks like the price has gone up to $23 according to the website. I'll give them a call to see if there is a difference.

Regards.

Reply to
Pat Blank