FSJ D44s in a TJ?

Here's the deal:

  1. I am picking up a set of D44s from an 81 Cherokee tomorrow. For free.

  1. They have 4.56s (so the owner thinks...). Also have new brakes, drum to drum, new brake lines, etc.

  2. They have spring perches for an XJ already welded on (he was going to put it in his XJ before he sold it).

I have no desire to swap out my D30. It does just fine. But that D35.... one break is enough for me... what would it take? Anyone found any writeups? Other than the obvious spring cups, shock mounts, etc, is there anything funky? Are they wider/skinnier than the D35? Bolt patterns? Since they're older, I assume (and hope) they aren't c-clip...

Is this going to be more trouble than it's worth? Thanks!

- Eric

99 TJ SE
Reply to
Eric

They should be a six bolt pattern. You will need to either swap both axles, or find a way to convert that rear to a 5 on 4.5 so you don't have mis-matched rims. From memory width is a little wider on the D44's. I think you will be best to swap both axles.

Reply to
Rusted

This would mean drums on the front of the TJ, if I read the original poster right, as stating that both D44s have new drum brakes. I don't know how that would work, or how many parts he would have to buy, to make the six bolt hubs fit his disk brakes. I am sure that drums big enough to stop an

81 Cherokee would be adequate for a TJ, but there are potential legal issues if you ever get into an accident. I am not entirely against the swap, but there are things to think about. A good machine shop could probably make the rear axles take 5 on 4.5 rims, but it would be a good idea to ask first, to determine the price.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

I prefer to think of the aluminum-bodied chain-driven NP-231 as a "fusible link" that is protecting the rest of my drive train from serious damage. But as I said, there are lots of things to think about, before picking up wrenches.

Earle

Reply to
Earle Horton

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

That is right, the pumkin is on the wrong side. Tell ya what Eric, how about I pick those axles up from you, and I won't even charge you a service fee :) Actually those are the exact axles I am looking for, if you are interested in selling and either live close enough or shipping reasonable I may be interested in them.

Reply to
Rusted

I only plan on using the rear anyway, and yes it's a 6-bolt pattern. The rear is in great shape (just about new everything -- bearings, shoes, rotors, brake lines, repainted, etc.). I measured from drum to drum last night and it seems to be the same width as my D35.

I need to pull the cover and make sure everything works OK. And the rotors need to be turned -- they were outside and got a bit of rust on the inside.

Reply to
Eric

Tried to email you but you don't have your email address listed...

I'm in San Antonio, TX, and for the right price I'd be willing to sell/ship.

Reply to
Eric