Here's the deal with Keys

Here is some info that you might not come across otherwise. As you may know, there are (3) styles of keys for the Mini; There is the "remote-in-a-key" (about $180), a key that is every bit as bulky, but with no buttons (about $40) and the little plastic "wallet" key (about $50 - yes more than a "real" key.) $ = USD.

My 2006 MCS came with 2 remotes and 1 wallet key.

For older Minis, the non-remote might be a bit smaller, and may be called a "valet" key. Also I think the older remote-keys have a battery in them. The newer keys do not - they "charge" by using them, and you are advised to rotate them to keep them in working order.

I ordered an extra non-remote key, thinking I would like a "real" key, but one which would stand up to such indignities as going into the ocean for a swim, etc. I wouldn't want to soak a $180 key, now would I? (And I am not sure I trust the flimsy "wallet" key.)

I went to a local Mini dealer and bought a non-remote, for just under $40, after tax. When I went in to pick it up, I was surprised that it looked

*just like* my remote-keys. In fact, it *was* a remote key. The counter agent said "Gee, they never screw that up." Bottom line; I got a $180 key for $40, my lucky day... however, they told me that it wouldn't actually work, until it was initialized "just take it around to service and they'll set it up for you."

So, I did. A nice lady drove my MCS off with my keyring, and my shiny new key.

A few minutes later, she was back and said "OK, now both of these will work". I said "Great, now I have 3 keys" - "Oh, no, sir, only *these two* will work - all the keys need to be initialized at the same time."

Lesson one: You have to have all your remote keys together to get them initialized to your car.

Fine. A couple of weeks later, I finally get the chance to take all 3 keys in and go thru the drill again... We start off ok - the nice lady drives off around back with all 3 keys. She comes back a few minutes later and tells me "Sorry, you can only have two at a time. Because that is what the car is designed for."

I guess I can't complain, since I only paid for a non-remote key, but if I had really wanted 3 remote-keys I would be pissed!

Lesson two: You can only have TWO keys, with remote control, to your Mini Cooper. It was suggested I just hang onto my 3rd key and have it initialized if I ever lose one of my other two... oh well.

Finally:

If you only have a non-remote key... note that there is only one keyhole on MCS - on the driver's door. There is no keyhole on the boot or passenger side.

With the key - CW (clock-wise) = lock all. CCW once - unlock driver's side. CCW twice - unlock all.

Also: You can't push the door-lock button on the driver's side, but you can on the passenger side. So, if you ever leave a passenger in your car without a key, and they later need to "lock up", they must press the central locking button (with their door closed) - then do the double-latch open of the passenger door and then press the button before closing the door. (I.e. you can't exit the driver's side and "lock up" without a key.)

  • Driver's side = Left side... heh, maybe someone in the U.K. can confirm whether I should say "passenger side" or "right side".
Reply to
J. Patrick Brandt