258 Carb Set-up

Hi all....

I am in the midst of getting my 81 CJ7 on the road. The fuel pump has been replaced and I now have to set up the carb. I once saw a link to a document regarding the set-up of the carb. Can anyone help here?

Also I want to by-pass the computer emission control junk completely. Does anyone have any info on this. In Ontario where I live, vehicles over 20 years do not need to have an emissions test, so removing the associated equipment is not a problem.

Please let me know.

Many thanks in advance.

Reply to
Cannon (O|||||||O)

I think you're talking about a nutter bypass...

Joe

Many thanks guys! I will let you know how it goes.

Reply to
Cannon (O|||||||O)

wouldn't happen to be passing through Yuba City, Ca sometime, would you?????

Reply to
Carlo Jr.

Mike,

I'm in Whitby and I had a little engine fire not too long ago and she just hasn't worked right since. Up the street from me there is both a beer store and a butcher which sells great 1.5 pound steaks. I'd love a hand one weekend in bypassing the computer and double checking the vacuum lines.

Jay

84 CJ7 33x12.5 MTR's

completely.

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

I recognized your name from my off road list I believe. Have we met up on a run yet?

I am not too mobile right now. I can't physically drive the Cherokee yet, don't fit in the seat and the CJ needs work before I can take it much farther than the corner store or the doctors. The tie rod broke, I got it cobbled it back together, but the alignment is way off. Norm has a tie rod for me as soon as he gets back from vacation. He's going to put it on then too.

That will be in a couple weeks by the looks of it. I would still be open to you coming by here.

Mike

Johnathan Marr>

Reply to
Mike Romain

No we haven't went on a run yet. After the engine fire it sat around for awhile before I had the time to rewire everything. Every time I'd get an email about a run, there was some problem with the truck or I was away on business. I don't know if you are in the area but I figured you were from where you were going on the runs. I saw a Jeep that matches the description of yours to a "T" down at a plant in south Whitby and I've always wondered if it was yours. If you are in Durham it would be great to hook up and have you critique the rust on my truck. :) I can bring the beer and some steaks. If this sounds feasible for maybe this weekend email me and we'll set something up.

Jay

Reply to
Johnathan Marrin

I am not too far away, I am at Yonge and Finch which is just a hop up from the 401.

Have a BBQ and a decent place to work in the shade of a tree in my driveway. (they don't call us 'shade tree' mechanics for nothing eh) ;-) I also have a tarp that hang in the tree nicely too in case we need more than shade.

I will be around all weekend, have a Doctors appointment Monday morning, otherwise I am free.

Have you put a kit in the carb recently? If not, you should hit up Canadian Tire for a kit, they are around $20.00, and a can of carb cleaner spray. be sure it is carb cleaner, not throttle body cleaner, they sell both.

The kit takes a couple hours to do right. That is about a half hour of work, the rest is soaking parts in cleaner. It is not a difficult job. I normally put on a new fuel filter at the same time, that seems to make the clean last longer.

To get the carb to tune after killing the computer, a kit is really needed. The computer can get around a bunch of dirt issues that a manual setup has trouble with or it makes it harder to set anyway.

I had a computer meltdown here at home and lost my mailing list. My son thinks it maybe is backed up on a network drive, but he has to configure a mess of things with his linux box for me to get at it.

There is our annual end of summer RAMJ+W run coming up, I need to make a mailing list run call real soon.

If you email me your phone number I will give you a call, you are 'just' long distance and I get free long distance calling with my internet DSL account.

Mike

Johnathan Marr>

Reply to
Mike Romain